Skip to main content

My Initial College Experience

Yesterday was actually my first day at Georgia State and my first day of college.

My first course in Honors English. My first professor for my English class walked in to the room. She had to make it a point to tell the students that she was indeed the professor and not just a graduate student. That's because she had cherry red hair with blunt bangs, and some scattered tattoos. I noticed a Flannery O'Conner quote on her syllabus, and a Nick Cave quote online, which both made me a bit happy. She's a pretty relaxed teacher, and she seems like an interesting person, so I look forward to her class.

My next class was math... I'm really not a fan of any sort of math. This is an intro class, so the materiel isn't difficult. The only problem is that my professor is from China I believe, and her accent is thick. This makes it so I have to really pay attention, which I guess isn't so bad.

Luckily, those were my only classes for the day. After that, I waited half an hour in line at the bookstore where I found out the college made a mistake in my profile. They said I don't qualify for a certain scholarship which I'd applied for and two people told me I already had. I was sent to someone to speak about the issue, when that person sent me to another person, and then they sent me to a third person where I had to wait in line another hour. After I finally got to see somebody, they didn't know why the computer said I didn't qualify for the scholarship...when I clearly did. This morning, I spoke with somebody on the phone. It should be fixed by tomorrow. Hopefully.

Yesterday, aside from my classes, was a nightmare.

Today was quite a bit better. My professors are good. I'm very excited about my Astronomy class in particular.

I was able to tour the area around the college a bit more at my own leisurely pace today. The atmosphere around the college is very cool. There are so many restaurants there I want to try. I especially want to try the pho restaurant and the korean taco place. There's even always seems to be a guy playing his saxaphone on the street. Today, there was a man handing out inspirational quotes. He handed me one from Winston Churchill. This is a pleasant change from yesterday when religious picketers were standing on the street corner, telling people they were going to burn in hell...

Well, That's Georgia State for you. :)

Comments

  1. It sounds like you've certainly had an...interesting...couple of days. At least there was some good mixed in with the bad! :) I hope you end up really loving the college. (I wish my English teacher was like yours) Make sure to leave us plenty of feedback! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. College is great actually. It's much better so far than my first day. My English teacher and I talked about music after class as well. It turns out, she's a big Christian Death fan.

      Delete
  2. I bet things will get easier as the school ball starts rolling. Sorry you had some bad experiences! :( My English teacher seems pretty cool too. He noticed my Stephen King book. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are easier now that I fixed my scholarship issue. I get really frustrated when people can't do their jobs, but I know better for next time. Sounds like you lucked up with your lit teacher too! :)

      Delete
  3. Dealing with financial aide people and getting scholarships lined out is such a pain in the butt and always makes me want to pull my hair out. I'm glad it got worked out and everything else went well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depeche Mode Concert

Last night, Depeche Mode came to town. After a long week and much time spent looking forward to this, I'm glad to say I was in attendance. Justean and I ventured off to the venue with little incident this time (meaning not getting horribly lost like before). When we arrived, we noticed what a broad spectrum of fans Depeche Mode reached. There were a lot of drunken middle aged people, but besides that, there was a range of alternative types as well as more mainstream looking people. One thing is for sure that most everyone seemed excited to be there. In fact, at one point, I almost got in an altercation with a couple who was so excited, they decided to squeeze right in front of me and cut me off! Let's just say I got them to vacate my vicinity.  It was a great night for a concert. The moon shone brightly, and looming rain clouds dissipated. As for the show itself, Depeche Mode knows how to work a crowd. They sound mostly the same in concert as on their albums. They eve...

The Ammons' House

Swarms of flies, strange noises, shadowy figures, possessed children climbing up the walls...These all sound like elements from a horror film, but these occurrences characterize a recent paranormal case from Indiana that's been circulating through the media. So far, this case has been well-documented with records from local police and Department of Child Services, psychological evaluations, and priest intervention. After reading one article from USA Today, I find  it compelling that a DCS report details one of the children being "lifted and thrown into the wall with nobody touching him." Despite this many written records from seemingly credible sources, there are still some loose ends. Demon in the photo? There's an app for that. First of all, I'm wondering why there is no video or photo documentation. In a case like this, it should have occurred to someone to document this on camera. In the reports I've read, the homeowner hired clairvoyants and reque...

New Hair: 20's Inspired

For my readers who have followed this blog for any considerable amount of time, you probably aren't surprised that I've changed my hair yet again! I got rid of my orange patch, and I exchanged it for a color close to my natural hue. It's been a while since I've had them, but I decided to go with bangs again.  This cut reminds me of Daisy Buchanan's in the recent Gatsby.  Daisy Buchanan I'm a fan of the Roaring Twenties. It was an age of decadence, but also an age of self-discovery. Besides, some very good authors and artists came out of that era. Speaking of 20's artists and writers, If you have not seen Midnight in Paris, then you certainly should.