Skip to main content

DIY Skirt from Pants

I had this pair of really old black jeans. They were still nice, but they were faded. I put them in the giveaway pile until I had an idea. I wanted a simple formfitting mini skirt, so I decided to make one myself. I could've just gone to Goodwill or something, but I'm picky. I knew I probably wouldn't find anything the right length: not too short and not too long. It was surprisingly simple too. Here's how it goes:

Step 1: Cut off the bottom of the pants to your desired length (make one inch room for the hem.) Then, flip them inside out.
Step 2: Take a seam ripper, and rip out the inseam and crotch of the pants (sorry, no pic for this one)

Step 3: On the front, cut a straight line up just below the zipper. This will allow you to fold one side over the other and pin it. Pin the back in the same manner.
Step 4: Take your sewing machine, and sew up where you pinned. Also, sew the bottom hem (unless you want it to fray)
Done!

It's obviously a plain skirt, so there's so much else one could do to personalize it. I'm thinking about re-dying mine black. I'd also like to add some studs along the front pockets, and make patches from the leftover material.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depeche Mode Concert

Last night, Depeche Mode came to town. After a long week and much time spent looking forward to this, I'm glad to say I was in attendance. Justean and I ventured off to the venue with little incident this time (meaning not getting horribly lost like before). When we arrived, we noticed what a broad spectrum of fans Depeche Mode reached. There were a lot of drunken middle aged people, but besides that, there was a range of alternative types as well as more mainstream looking people. One thing is for sure that most everyone seemed excited to be there. In fact, at one point, I almost got in an altercation with a couple who was so excited, they decided to squeeze right in front of me and cut me off! Let's just say I got them to vacate my vicinity.  It was a great night for a concert. The moon shone brightly, and looming rain clouds dissipated. As for the show itself, Depeche Mode knows how to work a crowd. They sound mostly the same in concert as on their albums. They eve...

Halloween Update: A Change of Plans

So everyone, I am a little disappointed to say that my Marie Antoinette costume is not a go this year. There has been so much piling up on me between things in my personal life, work, and school, that I have been unable to find the time to get the rest of my costume together. I bit off more than I could chew this year, but I know for next time to plan better. Perhaps you'll see the Queen next year... Although I will not be doing Marie Antoinette, I do have something planned that I can easily do with what I have! I will be using my red dress, a hat, roses, black lace and accessories, and of course some creative make-up, to throw together a Día de los Muertos costume. I think it might even be a better option this year, as I plan on visiting my aunt's house who has decorated her home in a  "Dead Hat Society" theme this year. If you don't remember the aunt to whom I am referring, here is the link to my post about her house.  I will take pictures! It's really spe...

New Hair: 20's Inspired

For my readers who have followed this blog for any considerable amount of time, you probably aren't surprised that I've changed my hair yet again! I got rid of my orange patch, and I exchanged it for a color close to my natural hue. It's been a while since I've had them, but I decided to go with bangs again.  This cut reminds me of Daisy Buchanan's in the recent Gatsby.  Daisy Buchanan I'm a fan of the Roaring Twenties. It was an age of decadence, but also an age of self-discovery. Besides, some very good authors and artists came out of that era. Speaking of 20's artists and writers, If you have not seen Midnight in Paris, then you certainly should.