Skip to main content

Hard Labor Creek Adventure

This past weekend, I trekked out to Hard Labor Creek State Park, stopping at my aunt's house along the way. My university's Astronomy club arranged a camp out by their observatory located in the park.

Hard Labor Creek is one of the darkest places in the state--perfect for looking at the stars. That's exactly what we did. Everyone was able to witness the ISS fly over. I saw some globular clusters and nebulae through the telescopes. There were even some shooting stars!

tumblr

For our stay, we trekked out into the middle of the woods. It was an unmarked site, so it was technically trespassing. It was the first time I've ever been "roughin' it."  We set up out tents and built a campfire where we told stories. Throughout the night, nocturnal creatures lurked. There were some owls and even coyotes...perhaps even ghosts! Ghost Hunters once investigated Camp Rutledge, a nearby site, for their episode titled, "Camp Fear." I'd like to go back to the campsite one day, perhaps for an investigation.

Camp Rutledge

While at my aunt's house, here are the pictures she took of my crush, Ryan, and me. She did some crafty photo editing on the second one (which was supposed to be a silly zombie-like pose).  




Summer is approaching, and I'm looking forward to warm nights spent by a fire, camping, or gazing longingly up at the stars.

On a less related note, some days can be very difficult. I often find myself wondering how I make it through or why I'm even here. Then, there are those rare and cherished times where I'm glad to take the next breath. I found an inspirational quote I quite fancy. I'll share it in the hopes that it will resonate with any of you who may be reading this:

"Everyone who terrifies you is sixty-five percent water.

And everyone you love is made of stardust, and I know sometimes
you cannot even breathe deeply, and
the night sky is no home, and
you have cried yourself to sleep enough times
that you are down to your last two percent, but

nothing is infinite,

not even loss.

You are made of the sea and the stars, and one day

you are going to find yourself again. " 

Comments

  1. The campsite looks like a gorgeous place! I love to look at the stars but even in the mountains where I live, they are often blocked by the lights of houses and businesses. My dad tells me the stars are amazing in South America. I hope you have a wonderful summer, and feel better. I've been feeling a little the same, what with my first year of college coming up, I've had to make some big decisions and oftentimes it all seems pointless. Something that has helped for me is trying new things. I've taken up the violin again even though I haven't played since I was very young. Never be afraid to be a beginner again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very much hoping to go to South America one day. I've been thinking about doing the Peace Corps in Peru before I go back for grad school. trying new things helps my depression as well. I'm wanting to pick up better survival skills through camping. I hope the violin goes well! I took piano a long time ago, and I miss it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depeche Mode Concert

Last night, Depeche Mode came to town. After a long week and much time spent looking forward to this, I'm glad to say I was in attendance. Justean and I ventured off to the venue with little incident this time (meaning not getting horribly lost like before). When we arrived, we noticed what a broad spectrum of fans Depeche Mode reached. There were a lot of drunken middle aged people, but besides that, there was a range of alternative types as well as more mainstream looking people. One thing is for sure that most everyone seemed excited to be there. In fact, at one point, I almost got in an altercation with a couple who was so excited, they decided to squeeze right in front of me and cut me off! Let's just say I got them to vacate my vicinity.  It was a great night for a concert. The moon shone brightly, and looming rain clouds dissipated. As for the show itself, Depeche Mode knows how to work a crowd. They sound mostly the same in concert as on their albums. They eve...

The Ammons' House

Swarms of flies, strange noises, shadowy figures, possessed children climbing up the walls...These all sound like elements from a horror film, but these occurrences characterize a recent paranormal case from Indiana that's been circulating through the media. So far, this case has been well-documented with records from local police and Department of Child Services, psychological evaluations, and priest intervention. After reading one article from USA Today, I find  it compelling that a DCS report details one of the children being "lifted and thrown into the wall with nobody touching him." Despite this many written records from seemingly credible sources, there are still some loose ends. Demon in the photo? There's an app for that. First of all, I'm wondering why there is no video or photo documentation. In a case like this, it should have occurred to someone to document this on camera. In the reports I've read, the homeowner hired clairvoyants and reque...

New Hair: 20's Inspired

For my readers who have followed this blog for any considerable amount of time, you probably aren't surprised that I've changed my hair yet again! I got rid of my orange patch, and I exchanged it for a color close to my natural hue. It's been a while since I've had them, but I decided to go with bangs again.  This cut reminds me of Daisy Buchanan's in the recent Gatsby.  Daisy Buchanan I'm a fan of the Roaring Twenties. It was an age of decadence, but also an age of self-discovery. Besides, some very good authors and artists came out of that era. Speaking of 20's artists and writers, If you have not seen Midnight in Paris, then you certainly should.