Skip to main content

Advice: Goth Isn't for Grown-ups?

The lovely Lady Zendra of Noran over at Drones and Drabbles asked me for some advice the other day. I'd like to offer a solution, and hopefully my readers could comment with advice of their own for her as well.

She said, "My problem is that at 19 years of age, my parents are insisting that I "grow up" and give up my gothic clothing and interests. I simply do not agree that to be grown up, I have to give up these things that I love. I've tried to explain that I feel that I look beautiful in my darker aesthetic. How do I convince my parents that there is a time and place for certain things and that when I am out with my friends or in public I can wear what I feel comfortable in." 

It's such a shame that when some imagine an alternative person, they seem to think that there are no respectable adults involved. Your parents are most likely worried that your choice of dress and interests may affect the way people view you, which could also affect career opportunities, relationships, etc. They're stuck in concerned parent mode, but they need to be able to sympathize with you. Here's how I would go about making them see from your perspective:

  • First of all, always be respectful when you talk about this. 
  • Ask your parents why they dress the way they do. They might say it's because "that's how I feel comfortable" or something to that effect. To that you can say, "I dress for the same reason. This is how I feel comfortable presenting myself." Please make it clear, however, that your intention isn't to scare anyone off, and that you would dress "appropriately" for job interviews and such.
  • Ask them how they would feel if their parents told them they couldn't dress a certain way, listen to certain music, etc when they were your age. Tell your parents that just like themselves, you cannot help your likes and interests. 
  • It might help a little to show them some goth songs, maybe from the eighties, that they could identify with. Perhaps they might enjoy The Cure or New Order? This way, they could be able to relate to you better and understand why you like the things you do. 
  • Also, gently remind them that you are legally an adult, and therefore are capable of making your own decisions and dealing with the consequences. 
  • If in the end they can't see reason, well, you're nineteen. It won't be that long before you can move out on your own.
I hope this helped. If anyone else has something to offer, please comment down below.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Hair: 20's Inspired

For my readers who have followed this blog for any considerable amount of time, you probably aren't surprised that I've changed my hair yet again! I got rid of my orange patch, and I exchanged it for a color close to my natural hue. It's been a while since I've had them, but I decided to go with bangs again.  This cut reminds me of Daisy Buchanan's in the recent Gatsby.  Daisy Buchanan I'm a fan of the Roaring Twenties. It was an age of decadence, but also an age of self-discovery. Besides, some very good authors and artists came out of that era. Speaking of 20's artists and writers, If you have not seen Midnight in Paris, then you certainly should.

Depeche Mode Concert

Last night, Depeche Mode came to town. After a long week and much time spent looking forward to this, I'm glad to say I was in attendance. Justean and I ventured off to the venue with little incident this time (meaning not getting horribly lost like before). When we arrived, we noticed what a broad spectrum of fans Depeche Mode reached. There were a lot of drunken middle aged people, but besides that, there was a range of alternative types as well as more mainstream looking people. One thing is for sure that most everyone seemed excited to be there. In fact, at one point, I almost got in an altercation with a couple who was so excited, they decided to squeeze right in front of me and cut me off! Let's just say I got them to vacate my vicinity.  It was a great night for a concert. The moon shone brightly, and looming rain clouds dissipated. As for the show itself, Depeche Mode knows how to work a crowd. They sound mostly the same in concert as on their albums. They eve...

Halloween Update: A Change of Plans

So everyone, I am a little disappointed to say that my Marie Antoinette costume is not a go this year. There has been so much piling up on me between things in my personal life, work, and school, that I have been unable to find the time to get the rest of my costume together. I bit off more than I could chew this year, but I know for next time to plan better. Perhaps you'll see the Queen next year... Although I will not be doing Marie Antoinette, I do have something planned that I can easily do with what I have! I will be using my red dress, a hat, roses, black lace and accessories, and of course some creative make-up, to throw together a Día de los Muertos costume. I think it might even be a better option this year, as I plan on visiting my aunt's house who has decorated her home in a  "Dead Hat Society" theme this year. If you don't remember the aunt to whom I am referring, here is the link to my post about her house.  I will take pictures! It's really spe...