Skip to main content

Ripped Tights Are Controversial

source
Sure, ripped jeans are fine among most people (as long as you don't buy them pre-ripped), but Tights? Oh no, ripped tights are not acceptable among many.  Either you like ripped tights or you hate them, and there seems to be no middle. 

I live in a conservative area where women are supposed to throw their tights away as soon as it gets a run or a tear. Slashed and ripped tights is a somewhat recent trend, and many people have a lot to say. People will point out the run in your tights and frown as if you did something wrong. On the days when I choose to wear my ripped tights or slashed leggings, I get a lot more negative looks from people. Why is this? Well, there are many reasons:
  • People think it looks dirty and unkempt.
  • It is associated with a lack of money, which is obviously frowned upon in a capitalist society.
  • It is seen as blatant defiance of a social norm.
  • Many think it is trashy.
Here's a link to a Chictopia forum in which many women share their opinion on the trend. 

Also, here's another link to a rather funny article called, "You aren't Taylor Momsen, Take Off The Ripped Tights."

I think it's such a waste of money to throw away a pair of tights after they get one rip. Besides, ripped tights can add texture and character to an otherwise plain outfit. I never meant to insult anyone or rebel against the man with my torn hosiery. I could think of plenty of better ways to do that besides wearing something 'edgy'. Don't get upset about something as trivial as a rip in a lady's tights, people. There are plenty of other legitimate crises in the world (like the potential EU economical collapse) to sweat over. 

Keep worrying about the sorry state of my tights. I'll keep letting them rip.

I said my piece. Feel free as always to post a comment. In the meantime, I'll be finishing up Tale Of The Body Thief by Anne Rice. 

Comments

  1. The more rips the better! I love the look of torn up stocking. I even wore them today and surprisingly got a compliment on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ripped tights! I don't really mind the looks or snarky comments from people ^^ They're aesthetically pleasing to me and they make me happy, so I continue to wear them :) I don't throw away tights until its physically impossible to wear them anymore XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Your tights have a few rips in them' comments annoy the life out of me, haha. I mean, I wear 3 layers of stockings/tights, and yet if one of those layers has a rip or run I'll get at least one retarded comment.

    And besides, what a waste! It's really hard getting a hold on certain patterened hosiery, such as striped, and I'm not throwing them away EVER, until they're physically impossible to wear anymore.

    People always have stupid comments, in my opinion, do what you want and ignore them. xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all of you. :) I don't think there's any reason for any random person to post an anti-ripped tights comment. Their argument is invalid. haha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depeche Mode Concert

Last night, Depeche Mode came to town. After a long week and much time spent looking forward to this, I'm glad to say I was in attendance. Justean and I ventured off to the venue with little incident this time (meaning not getting horribly lost like before). When we arrived, we noticed what a broad spectrum of fans Depeche Mode reached. There were a lot of drunken middle aged people, but besides that, there was a range of alternative types as well as more mainstream looking people. One thing is for sure that most everyone seemed excited to be there. In fact, at one point, I almost got in an altercation with a couple who was so excited, they decided to squeeze right in front of me and cut me off! Let's just say I got them to vacate my vicinity.  It was a great night for a concert. The moon shone brightly, and looming rain clouds dissipated. As for the show itself, Depeche Mode knows how to work a crowd. They sound mostly the same in concert as on their albums. They eve...

The Ammons' House

Swarms of flies, strange noises, shadowy figures, possessed children climbing up the walls...These all sound like elements from a horror film, but these occurrences characterize a recent paranormal case from Indiana that's been circulating through the media. So far, this case has been well-documented with records from local police and Department of Child Services, psychological evaluations, and priest intervention. After reading one article from USA Today, I find  it compelling that a DCS report details one of the children being "lifted and thrown into the wall with nobody touching him." Despite this many written records from seemingly credible sources, there are still some loose ends. Demon in the photo? There's an app for that. First of all, I'm wondering why there is no video or photo documentation. In a case like this, it should have occurred to someone to document this on camera. In the reports I've read, the homeowner hired clairvoyants and reque...

New Hair: 20's Inspired

For my readers who have followed this blog for any considerable amount of time, you probably aren't surprised that I've changed my hair yet again! I got rid of my orange patch, and I exchanged it for a color close to my natural hue. It's been a while since I've had them, but I decided to go with bangs again.  This cut reminds me of Daisy Buchanan's in the recent Gatsby.  Daisy Buchanan I'm a fan of the Roaring Twenties. It was an age of decadence, but also an age of self-discovery. Besides, some very good authors and artists came out of that era. Speaking of 20's artists and writers, If you have not seen Midnight in Paris, then you certainly should.