Skip to main content

A Sc-Eyre-y Halloween

I read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte this year. I absolutely loved it. I loved every minute of reading it. Read the book if you get the chance. 

I didn't plan very much this Halloween. I work full time and was leading ghost tours and doing other things most evenings. I knew that I wanted to dress up though. So, the weekend before Halloween, a thought dawned on me to go as Jane Eyre. 

The only piece of the ensemble I had to buy was the skirt. You can't get a good view of it in the picture below, but it is a sumptuous black fabric. It's stiff, pleated and almost glows if the light hits it right. It was another serendipitous thrift store find, and I'll be sure to wear it again. 
Saw this spider in my yard. It's nature's Halloween decoration.

We decided not to go out Halloween night but instead continued watching a new Netflix series called The Haunting of Hill House. A lot of the images from the show have stuck in my mind. We've just watched the fourth episode, and the show is growing more and more intense.

If you've seen  The Haunting of Hill House, let me know what you think! I hope you all had a fun Halloween! Keep being spooky all year long.

Comments

  1. I love your costume! Jane Eyre is one of my favourite books ever as well. It's such a beautiful story with lots of spook thrown in. I mean, if it's appropriate to use "spook" and "thrown in" about classic literature. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure Charlotte Bronte wouldn't object to your use of "spook." I read Wuthering Heights shortly after. It's plenty spooky, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Jane Eyre. I'd love to read more from the Brontes. Have you read any other books of theirs you'd recommend?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween Update: A Change of Plans

So everyone, I am a little disappointed to say that my Marie Antoinette costume is not a go this year. There has been so much piling up on me between things in my personal life, work, and school, that I have been unable to find the time to get the rest of my costume together. I bit off more than I could chew this year, but I know for next time to plan better. Perhaps you'll see the Queen next year... Although I will not be doing Marie Antoinette, I do have something planned that I can easily do with what I have! I will be using my red dress, a hat, roses, black lace and accessories, and of course some creative make-up, to throw together a Día de los Muertos costume. I think it might even be a better option this year, as I plan on visiting my aunt's house who has decorated her home in a  "Dead Hat Society" theme this year. If you don't remember the aunt to whom I am referring, here is the link to my post about her house.  I will take pictures! It's really spe...

New Hair: 20's Inspired

For my readers who have followed this blog for any considerable amount of time, you probably aren't surprised that I've changed my hair yet again! I got rid of my orange patch, and I exchanged it for a color close to my natural hue. It's been a while since I've had them, but I decided to go with bangs again.  This cut reminds me of Daisy Buchanan's in the recent Gatsby.  Daisy Buchanan I'm a fan of the Roaring Twenties. It was an age of decadence, but also an age of self-discovery. Besides, some very good authors and artists came out of that era. Speaking of 20's artists and writers, If you have not seen Midnight in Paris, then you certainly should.

My Aunt's Victorian House

I spent this weekend at my Aunt's house. I figured since I had a school assignment at an observatory near her house, that I'd spend the night while I was out there. She lives in a lovely Victorian house that is filled with antiques and Halloween decorations. They even say it's haunted. (They had me sleep in the "haunted" room, but I didn't see any ghosts. :/). I took some pictures of the house while I was there. Below, is just a portion of the Halloween decorations they keep. Around Halloween time, they go all out to decorate. I'm not kidding. My Aunt was even born on Halloween, and she's the one who really fueled my love of spooky things during my childhood.  This is an antique baby carriage they keep in front of my cousin's room.  This table is in the front parlor. I thought it was beautiful, and the witchy sign is a nice touch. This beauty is probably my favorite thing in the house. It was an antique organ that came from a ve...