Skip to main content

What's Brewing for me in 2015

I see it's been over a month since I've last posted, which is actually less time than I thought. It's probably no surprise that I've been busier than ever. In fact, I've been in a perpetual state of busyness for as long as I can recall. I thought it'd be considerate to give an update because a lot of things are happening this year.

The most exciting are my plans for Summer. For two months, from May through July, I will be visiting Cusco, Peru! This will be my first time abroad and the longest amount of time away from home. I will be studying and doing some service work (probably a teacher's assistant at a primary school). I'm going to take a Spanish literature class and a Quechua class. Both will be taught in Spanish. I'll be staying with a host family too! Hopefully, this will be the push I need to finally gain fluency in Spanish. Fluency is a really ambiguous concept anyway. I've been taking Spanish on and off for about seven years, and only recently, I can consider myself a high-intermediate learner. 

I'm really looking forward to exploring the Andes and walking among the beautiful mix of Spanish and Inca architecture, trying the traditional foods, petting the llamas, seeing Machu Picchu, and even visiting the Amazon. I have my language interview this Friday so they can place me. After that, they can officially accept me into the program. 

As far as concerts go, my boyfriend took me to see Saint-Saen's "organ symphony," and we're going next month to see The Church.


Speaking of The Church, Easter is approaching, and I am going to be received into the one holy and apostolic catholic church with a capital 'C'. You read correctly! I'm becoming Catholic. It's a lengthy and interesting story, and I may post about it sometime soon.

On a side note, did you know the Catholic church is the most Gothic religion ever? It invented "Gothic," actually. We have all kinds of Gothic things like the architecture (of course), exorcisms, drinking blood every Sunday, the Sorrowful Mysteries, and these other reasons listed at this webpage that I found, "Top Ten Reasons why Catholicism is so Goth."

That's really it for me right now! It's going to be an interesting year filled with life-changes. I hope everyone is thriving and continues to do so throughout the year.  

Comments

  1. Exploring the Andes sounds wonderful! Saint-Saens is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much look forward to this Summer. Also, I hope to one day see Carnival of the Animals.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depeche Mode Concert

Last night, Depeche Mode came to town. After a long week and much time spent looking forward to this, I'm glad to say I was in attendance. Justean and I ventured off to the venue with little incident this time (meaning not getting horribly lost like before). When we arrived, we noticed what a broad spectrum of fans Depeche Mode reached. There were a lot of drunken middle aged people, but besides that, there was a range of alternative types as well as more mainstream looking people. One thing is for sure that most everyone seemed excited to be there. In fact, at one point, I almost got in an altercation with a couple who was so excited, they decided to squeeze right in front of me and cut me off! Let's just say I got them to vacate my vicinity.  It was a great night for a concert. The moon shone brightly, and looming rain clouds dissipated. As for the show itself, Depeche Mode knows how to work a crowd. They sound mostly the same in concert as on their albums. They eve...

New Hair: 20's Inspired

For my readers who have followed this blog for any considerable amount of time, you probably aren't surprised that I've changed my hair yet again! I got rid of my orange patch, and I exchanged it for a color close to my natural hue. It's been a while since I've had them, but I decided to go with bangs again.  This cut reminds me of Daisy Buchanan's in the recent Gatsby.  Daisy Buchanan I'm a fan of the Roaring Twenties. It was an age of decadence, but also an age of self-discovery. Besides, some very good authors and artists came out of that era. Speaking of 20's artists and writers, If you have not seen Midnight in Paris, then you certainly should.

The Ammons' House

Swarms of flies, strange noises, shadowy figures, possessed children climbing up the walls...These all sound like elements from a horror film, but these occurrences characterize a recent paranormal case from Indiana that's been circulating through the media. So far, this case has been well-documented with records from local police and Department of Child Services, psychological evaluations, and priest intervention. After reading one article from USA Today, I find  it compelling that a DCS report details one of the children being "lifted and thrown into the wall with nobody touching him." Despite this many written records from seemingly credible sources, there are still some loose ends. Demon in the photo? There's an app for that. First of all, I'm wondering why there is no video or photo documentation. In a case like this, it should have occurred to someone to document this on camera. In the reports I've read, the homeowner hired clairvoyants and reque...