Skip to main content

Flannery O'Connor and The Christ-Haunted South Lecture

Bedford/St. Martin's
For those of you who are not familiar with Flannery O'Connor or her work, let me take a moment to share a little. Flannery O'Connor was a writer born in Savannah, Georgia in the Twenties. She lived most of her life in a town called Milledgeville, also in Georgia. O'Connor's work is categorized as Southern Gothicism. Her wit is legendary, and her stories are characterized by their rural southern settings, grotesque characters, and the strong influence of her Catholicism (rare in the South at the time) on her work. To those of you who have not read anything from this lady, do (and comment with your opinions)! They are accessible online. Here is a link to "The Life You Save May Be Your Own," which is the first short story I read from her.

Monday evening after class, my boyfriend and I attended a brilliant lecture at Emory University-- an opportunity  that I hope comes around again. The lecturer was a man named Dr. Ralph Wood. He and William Sessions, a legend at Georgia State who also spoke, dedicated their careers to this woman's work.

O'Connor's self portrait next the Christ Pantocrator

The lecture was titled "Straightforward as a Gunshot," which everyone agreed was aptly named. It covered O'Connor's faith as an integral part of her work, Dostoevsky's influence on her writing, and the likeness of her self-portrait to the Christ Pantocrator icon. I enjoyed Dr. Wood's personal experiences he shared growing up in rural Texas, as his "redneck" South was the sort written about in O'Conner's stories. For those of you who are interested in further information, which you most certainly should be, here is the link to the lecture summary blog post from Emory University's Religion and Ethics blog. "Spirited Thinking." Also, click this link to purchase Dr. Ralph Wood's book, Flannery O'Connor and the Christ-Haunted South.

And with that, I leave you all with a quote from Ms. O'Connor:

“I think it is safe to say that while the South is hardly Christ-centered, it is most certainly Christ-haunted.” -Flannery O'Connor

Comments

  1. I love Flannery O'Connor! My Southern Lit class in grad school was one of my absolute favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'd love to take a Southern Lit Class. That sounds marvelous.

      Delete
  2. That was a very unusual story. I've added her Collected Works onto my Amazon Wishlist. Thanks for this post and the introduction to a new (to me) author! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depeche Mode Concert

Last night, Depeche Mode came to town. After a long week and much time spent looking forward to this, I'm glad to say I was in attendance. Justean and I ventured off to the venue with little incident this time (meaning not getting horribly lost like before). When we arrived, we noticed what a broad spectrum of fans Depeche Mode reached. There were a lot of drunken middle aged people, but besides that, there was a range of alternative types as well as more mainstream looking people. One thing is for sure that most everyone seemed excited to be there. In fact, at one point, I almost got in an altercation with a couple who was so excited, they decided to squeeze right in front of me and cut me off! Let's just say I got them to vacate my vicinity.  It was a great night for a concert. The moon shone brightly, and looming rain clouds dissipated. As for the show itself, Depeche Mode knows how to work a crowd. They sound mostly the same in concert as on their albums. They eve...

The Ammons' House

Swarms of flies, strange noises, shadowy figures, possessed children climbing up the walls...These all sound like elements from a horror film, but these occurrences characterize a recent paranormal case from Indiana that's been circulating through the media. So far, this case has been well-documented with records from local police and Department of Child Services, psychological evaluations, and priest intervention. After reading one article from USA Today, I find  it compelling that a DCS report details one of the children being "lifted and thrown into the wall with nobody touching him." Despite this many written records from seemingly credible sources, there are still some loose ends. Demon in the photo? There's an app for that. First of all, I'm wondering why there is no video or photo documentation. In a case like this, it should have occurred to someone to document this on camera. In the reports I've read, the homeowner hired clairvoyants and reque...

New Hair: 20's Inspired

For my readers who have followed this blog for any considerable amount of time, you probably aren't surprised that I've changed my hair yet again! I got rid of my orange patch, and I exchanged it for a color close to my natural hue. It's been a while since I've had them, but I decided to go with bangs again.  This cut reminds me of Daisy Buchanan's in the recent Gatsby.  Daisy Buchanan I'm a fan of the Roaring Twenties. It was an age of decadence, but also an age of self-discovery. Besides, some very good authors and artists came out of that era. Speaking of 20's artists and writers, If you have not seen Midnight in Paris, then you certainly should.