Skip to main content

Abandoned Houses

To say that I like abandoned houses is an understatement. I am extremely fascinated with them. They are forbidden time capsules with clues about the past strewn about. Each one tells a different story, and much of it is left to the imagination. I love the adventure of it all. A couple days ago, I went with a few friends to an abandoned house not too far from where I live. It was really interesting. Just as a warning, this post is heavy with pictures.

We walked up to the entrance of the house. On the front porch, there were phonebooks, buttons, and bottles of schizophrenia medication. 
Nathan and Jean

Claire
We entered through the open window, since the front door is permanently closed due to the house weighing it down.  
There were piles of clothes, old belongings, and more bottles of anti psychotics strewn everywhere. On the wall, you can see "Jon", which appears to have been scrawled in glue. One of the former residents, named Jon, was also prescribed the medication.
On the table, there was a typewritten copy of the poem, "What Do You See?". This poem was written by an elderly woman in the geriatric ward of a hospital.
We all had a bit of fun in the house with paint. The painting done in the above picture was previously done by Nathan and Claire. I think it adds to the ambiance of the location. 

These above were pictures left by the former residents. The "blood" is actually just red paint.
Above is the kitchen of the house. If you zoom in, there are orbs everywhere. There are actually orbs in many of these pictures. Does this mean it is haunted, you may ask? Maybe, but the house was incredibly dusty...so who knows. ;)
 You can definitely see evidence of The 70's in this house. The foam mannequin head's name is "Sandy Studd." We didn't name it. It was already there from a little girl who once lived there.
I am responsible for the verse on the door. Edgar Allan Poe is responsible for the verse itself. 
After much time spent in the place, our lungs started to notice. With all the mold, dust, and probably asbestos, It was getting difficult to breathe. We stepped outside in to the oak tree-filled side yard. 
This is the view from the back of the house. Note to self: wearing lacey skirts isn't the best idea for exploring abandoned properties. Mine got caught in thorns.  Oddly enough, we also found a toupee lying outside.  

Overall, you never know what you can find on abandoned properties. If anybody reading this plans to visit one, I suggest bringing a friend for safety reasons. This is also considered trespassing, so be warned. It would be wise to bring a surgical mask, since these places are known to harbor mold, dust, asbestos, etc. Good luck, and have fun exploring!
 

Comments

  1. Ooooh, how interesting. I thought I was lured in fast with the mention of the schizophrenia meds. o_0

    I would love to do urban exploration, but there is quite a famous story around town (it was in the paper a few years back) about these twin boys who were in art school (majoring in photography), and for their final photography thingy they went to the abandoned train station. Now, they didn't test the sturdiness of the floor, so one fell in. Something sharp that happened to be below the flooring punctured his lung: he went into intensive care and died. His brother was grief stricken. I didn't mean to scare you, but whenever I want to do that sort of thing, that story comes into my head. The train station really looks charming and interesting, even with boarded up windows.

    Maybe if I'm older and have a "posse" with me, I might do some exploration. But for now, I drool over sites that harbor photos. There's one guy who runs his own site on the photos of urban exploration that he does himself. Be warmed, it's addicting:
    www.opacity.us

    Also, you can search on Flickr for groups dedicated to urban exploration :-D

    Sorry for such the long comment .. I just love these things. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting story. You never know what can happen. That's why it's good to bring people along. Abandoned properties are also attractive to homeless "squatters." Many homeless people are quite nice, but there are always the ones to be worried about. Urban exploration definitely has it's risks, but I love a little bit of danger and adventure. :)

      Delete
  2. *I was lured in [not "I thought I was"]

    *be warned, it's addicting

    Gah, sorry, typos -_-

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! where was this house at?
    i have had a fascination with old and abandoned homes for as long as i can remember. I haven't ever been inside one before, though. i'm surprised it actually still had contents left from previous people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's right down the road from my house. The one's I've been in all have belongings left. It's really awesome. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Devil's Turnaround

Noonday Missionary Baptist Church's Cemetery is also known as "Devil's Turnaround." It is located along a little back road in Kennesaw, Georgia, and most of the graves are scattered in the woods. It is easy to miss, but some of the gravestones are visible from the road. The cemetery has graves from the 1860's. I wouldn't doubt that some of its occupants were slaves at one time. Many say the land is haunted by malevolent spirits who hurl objects and make physical contact--shoving, scratching, and even biting visitors. I could understand why any lingering spirits might be upset: These grounds have been terribly neglected. Much of the graves are broken and toppled over. Some are barely visible through the overgrowth of ivy and weeds. People also say the root of the haunting may be related to rumored cult rituals performed on the property. Located right by the cemetery are huge power lines (high voltage transmission lines). I could hear them b

Dragon Con 2012

This year was my first time going to Dragon Con. Although it was exhausting, I had a great time. I definitely plan on going again next year. Me and Justean She's feeling zombified. Justean, I think you need medical attention. Getting strangled by my demon friend.  I had to. haha I tried on two authentic steel boned corsets. I originally wanted the underbust (since they're versatile), but the overbust looks really good too.  I'd like to order one for birthday or Christmas. Which one do you guys like better on me?  or I did a lot of shopping, but I didn't actually buy anything. :(  However, I did get some cool pictures. The Goblin King!   Dr. Rockzos (Metalocalypse) I'm not sure who it's supposed to be, but I thought it was very interesting. Guess What! I shook Nelsan Ellis' (Lafeyette from Trueblood's hand)! I love the show (I've only watched up to the 3rd season so far), and Lafayette is my favorite characte

Decatur Cemetery

Established in 1823, Decatur Cemetery is older than the city of Atlanta itself.  Through the iron gates sprawled pathways lined by stone walls and oak trees. There were monuments of varying sizes and shapes, some worn and peppered with lichen.   Within the cemetery, there are a few mysterious letterbox locations. Letterboxing is a past time similar to geocaching. Participants use riddles to find hidden boxes. Inside the box is a pad of paper that is stamped and dated by the finders. My boyfriend and I trekked through the cemetery to find the hidden boxes. We managed to find one of the three, which was soaked with water. Although we didn't find all, our cemetery exploration proved successful. soaked letterbox, hiding under the tree trunk. Thomas Holley Chivers Upon research, I found that Decatur Cemetery is home to a man named Thomas Holley Chivers. Chivers was a Medical Doctor who became a poet, achieving mild fame at the time. He is famous for his friendship an