For those of you who've been trying to hunt down a nose chain, you probably know that they're difficult to find. Even online, there isn't a big selection. The ones I've found at a local Indian mall were pretty, but they weren't exactly what I was looking for. I finally decided it would be easier to make my own.
What you need:
- Any kind of necklace chain (preferably lightweight)
- Nose ring (you can also make a lip chain if you have a lip ring.)
- Earring Hook
- Metal loops (You might be able to find a couple on your necklace)
- Jewelry pliers (I used regular pliers, but it's a lot more difficult.)
How To Make It:
- Measure out the length you want your nose chain. Using the pliers, separate the chain to your desired length.
- Take the piece you need, and attach both ends to the bigger metal loops.
- Attach one end to your earring hook and the other end to your nose ring. Make sure the ends are tightened enough where the nose chain won't come apart.
For me, it didn't cost any money. I already had these supplies around the house. If you don't have these supplies, it could cost up to $20.
For my nose chain, I decided to use a plain silver chain and a rosary beaded necklace. This came attached together as one necklace. This was especially convenient, because I wanted to get two different chain lengths.
Wear your nose chain with pride. There's many people out there who hate this accessory, and many people who think it's offensive. Remember kids, it's not cultural misappropriation...it's cultural appreciation. All cultures borrow from each other to evolve. We're living in a globalized society, so feel free to wear nose chains, bindis, henna, etc. even if you weren't born into the culture from which it originated.