Skip to main content

Halloween 2013

 On the morning of Halloween, I woke up to get together my costume and make-up to wear during the school and work day. I did this last year for my Jareth costume. This year, people were approaching me off the streets asking me to take photos with them (I might be on instagram)! At the sight of me, some people were taken aback and others were beaming with smiles. I was late to my first class because of the make-up, and it was completely worth it for the sake of infusing a little Halloween spirit in the campus.

On Halloween evening, I decided to take my skeleton-self over to my infamous aunt's Victorian home. Her house is known for being the most elaborately decorated house on Halloween. They have different themes each year. This year it was "Dead Hat Society." It's a reference to the Red Hat Society, which is comprised of old women who get together and have tea parties. If you see where this is going, you'll know that my relatives set up a giant macabre tea party in their front lawn. There were skeletons climbing out of graves, with one on a bike in order to join the ladies of the Dead Hat Society at their skeleton tea party. My costume fit right in-- so much so, that some people thought I was a prop! You can imagine how terrified they were when they saw me moving.


They're coming out of their graves to join the party!







I hope everyone had a spooktacular Halloween this year. Let me know in the comments what you think, and tell me about what you did this year. Also, happy All Soul's Day/ Day of the Dead!

Comments

  1. I love your outfit and makeup! And your aunt's skeleton tea party! I think she needs to adopt me! I hope you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, what fun it must've been to witness people realizing you're real!
    But you do look like a doll! A beautiful Catrina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome theme! I imagine it looked even better at night! I love your costume and makeup - the nose chains are a pretty and unique touch. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did look great at night. They had some red lights and lanterns lighting the yard. And I made the nose chain, so thank you!

      Delete
  4. Amazing decorations! You fitted in well in your costume so no wonder people thougth you were a prop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was by accident that my costume went with the theme, so it went perfectly!

      Delete
  5. Wow, I love how your makeup turned out! And I am soooooo jealous of your aunt's house, it's perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you! My uncle worked very hard decorating.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Devil's Turnaround

Noonday Missionary Baptist Church's Cemetery is also known as "Devil's Turnaround." It is located along a little back road in Kennesaw, Georgia, and most of the graves are scattered in the woods. It is easy to miss, but some of the gravestones are visible from the road. The cemetery has graves from the 1860's. I wouldn't doubt that some of its occupants were slaves at one time. Many say the land is haunted by malevolent spirits who hurl objects and make physical contact--shoving, scratching, and even biting visitors. I could understand why any lingering spirits might be upset: These grounds have been terribly neglected. Much of the graves are broken and toppled over. Some are barely visible through the overgrowth of ivy and weeds. People also say the root of the haunting may be related to rumored cult rituals performed on the property. Located right by the cemetery are huge power lines (high voltage transmission lines). I could hear them b

DIY Moon Patch

Sometimes, I get the inexplicable desire to paint patches. This time, I had an image of the moon phases in my head. The next thing I knew, I was pinning the patch on to the back of my jean vest. I was very pleased with how it turned out. What do you think? In progress The finished product

Why I Still Use CD's

Second Wave Compilation, Talking Heads, and SOM all purchased at a used book store Are CD's obsolete? With all of this digital downloading, most people don't even bother with them. Even vinyls (which are technically obsolete) have a vintage charm which CD's currently lack. I have a friend who jokes, "It's 2013. Who listens to CD's anymore?" while knowing full well that I still buy them. It might seem that I have luddite tendencies--I don't use an e reader either. However, I can make some very good arguments for purchasing CD's. Buying your music on compact disks nowadays is really cheap, especially if you know where to look. I tend to shop for them at Goodwill, thrift stores, and used book stores. I found Ministry's Psalm 69 (in very good condition) at my local Goodwill for only $1. Keep in mind, many people pay that much for a digital copy of one song. When I shop for them at my local used book store, the CD's are guaranteed to be i