Skip to main content

Giving Thanks

It's the heart of late November, and the air is beginning to chill. The leaves have aged through their spectrum of reds and golds, and they're now flying in great numbers through the wind to collect in piles that cover the ground. It's a signal that here in The States, it's that time of year again--a time to give thanks (even though the commercial industry has skipped the Thanksgiving and gone on straight to Christmas). I'd like to take a moment to post about a fraction for which I am thankful.

I'm thankful for having such a wonderful support system in my life. My boyfriend has really been there for me through such a whirlwind of a year, and I can't thank him enough. My best friend is always there when I need her, and I've grown closer to many of my family members as well.

I give thanks for all the opportunities in my life--they do not go unnoticed. It's jarring sometimes when I look back and realize how lucky I really am. I'm enrolled in a university where my tuition is mostly covered. In addition, I work as a writing tutor at my university's writing center, and I'm only a sophomore undergraduate student. There are so many roads I could take...I don't want to take it for granted for even a moment.

I'm thankful for all the little joys in life. It's wonderful to just curl up with a book and a blanket with a warm mug of tea. I love to make fires, either in the fireplace or outside, this time of year. I like meeting strangers and finding out more about their lives. I love learning. The day I stop is the day I die, and maybe not even then.

And finally, I am thankful for the life I have. When you find yourself struggling to come up with a list, always be thankful for living. By simply existing, you already have and will continue to make a difference in the life of another.

What are you thankful for this year? What are the little things in life you enjoy?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devil's Turnaround

Noonday Missionary Baptist Church's Cemetery is also known as "Devil's Turnaround." It is located along a little back road in Kennesaw, Georgia, and most of the graves are scattered in the woods. It is easy to miss, but some of the gravestones are visible from the road. The cemetery has graves from the 1860's. I wouldn't doubt that some of its occupants were slaves at one time. Many say the land is haunted by malevolent spirits who hurl objects and make physical contact--shoving, scratching, and even biting visitors. I could understand why any lingering spirits might be upset: These grounds have been terribly neglected. Much of the graves are broken and toppled over. Some are barely visible through the overgrowth of ivy and weeds. People also say the root of the haunting may be related to rumored cult rituals performed on the property. Located right by the cemetery are huge power lines (high voltage transmission lines). I could hear them b

Decatur Cemetery

Established in 1823, Decatur Cemetery is older than the city of Atlanta itself.  Through the iron gates sprawled pathways lined by stone walls and oak trees. There were monuments of varying sizes and shapes, some worn and peppered with lichen.   Within the cemetery, there are a few mysterious letterbox locations. Letterboxing is a past time similar to geocaching. Participants use riddles to find hidden boxes. Inside the box is a pad of paper that is stamped and dated by the finders. My boyfriend and I trekked through the cemetery to find the hidden boxes. We managed to find one of the three, which was soaked with water. Although we didn't find all, our cemetery exploration proved successful. soaked letterbox, hiding under the tree trunk. Thomas Holley Chivers Upon research, I found that Decatur Cemetery is home to a man named Thomas Holley Chivers. Chivers was a Medical Doctor who became a poet, achieving mild fame at the time. He is famous for his friendship an

Friday The Thirteenth Update

Happy Friday The Thirteenth, everybody. It's my two and a half year anniversary with my boyfriend, Joe, today. Unfortunately, he has work most of the day today, so we went out for lunch yesterday before he had class. We went to an Irish pub. I wore a Punk Hogwarts student outfit yesterday. I don't have pictures, but I wore my Ravenclaw tie over a black dress shirt, my black jean skirt with my "diy or die" patch I just painted, blue and black striped tights, and my trusty Doc Martens.  I love this thing. I'm a Ravenclaw, but my Hogwarts letter was lost in the mail. source Yay for home-made patches. That's the best way to go, in my opinion. I also went out for coffee with my friend, Justean, like we do every Thursday. I went to go use the restroom, and I found this on the door of the toilet stall: It's really neat looking. Below the symbol, there appears to be some writing in runes. Can anybody tell me what this means? I'd really like t