Skip to main content

My Style Evolution: 2008-2012

I compiled a video of my pictures from 2008 to 2012 in order to show how my style has evolved. Somehow, I wasn't able to find any pictures from the year 2009.

2008- This was my 8th grade year. I was friends with a girl who called herself a Goth. I admired her make-up, clothing, and courage to wear what she wanted.  
     This was also the year that I started High School. This halloween, I went as Mrs. Lovett from Helena Bonham Carter. I loved my outfit and make-up there. I remember wanting to look like that everyday.
     After that, I started to wear my make-up a little darker. I also started to wear fingerless gloves and darker clothing. This was the year that I got my Pair of Dr. Martens combat boots.

2010-This was the year when I officially considered myself to be a Goth. "This Corrosion" by The Sisters of Mercy was the first gothic rock song I heard, and I fell in love. After that, I was searching new bands like crazy. I fell in love with Bauhaus, London After Midnight, and Fields of the Nephilim. 
     I got my hair cut into bangs. I started buying plain black clothing from more mainstream stores at first (in addition to my lovely Tripp corset top). I also tried out darker make-up. I had done dark make-up previously in 8th grade (with a lot less skill), but I was always told to wash it off. 
     This was also when I took my trip to Salem, Massachusetts with my father. I absolutely loved it. I also got the chance to stop off at Edgar Allan Poe's grave on The way back. 

2011- This was when I bought my first floor length black skirt. I started to wear much more black, bolder pieces, and darker eye make-up. I remember that this was when I discovered the joy of thrift shopping. I learned to layer my clothing more than previously. 
     I remember when I started school this year, people treated me differently. My attitude changed a little as well. I got bolder, and I wore whatever I pleased without letting people's comments affect me. I got a lot more confidence, and I gained more respect for it. 
     This year, I started to dye my hair regularly. I went back and forth between auburn and burgundy/plum. I let my bangs grow out and my hair grow long for the first time in a long time. 
     This was also the time when I started purchasing more interesting shoes. I got my TUK double-sole Creepers and Demonia platform boots.
     I even saw my first goth concert...Peter Murphy!
     Later in the year, I started to do loads more DIY projects since I learned to use my sewing machine.

2012- This was the first time I dyed my hair black. This year, I've been thrifting more, DIYing lots, and discovering many more bands. 
    After graduating a semester early, I went to prom with Siouxsie Sioux inspired make up and a huge teased pompador. In contrast to the previous year's prom, I made myself have fun this time.
     This year, I've been wearing shorter skirts with all kinds of hosiery. I've been layering jewelry more too. Some days, I go without make-up. Other days, I wear black make-up all over my eyes. I don't have standard make-up that I do everyday.
     After I graduated High School, I decided to get my nose pierced. I plan on going back for my center labret and some more on my ears.

     My style is still evolving. In the near future, I intend on incorporating more bohemian and romantic elements into my wardrobe along with some more punk inspired items. I'd like to do something different with my hair, but I'm not sure yet.
     

Comments

  1. I don't know if anyone has ever told you, but you look a little like Bridget Mendler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never gotten that before...in fact I have no idea who that is. People have told me before that I look like Dita Von Teese, Abby from NCIS, and Wednesday Addams though. hahaha ...So pretty much every mainstream Goth-friendly person that comes to their mind.

      Delete
    2. You really do look like her, your eyebrows and smile are very similar.

      You probably never heard of her because shes on Disney Channel though ha ha

      Theres a couple of pictures of her here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgit_Mendler

      You can also just Google her name :)

      Delete
  2. I love your top in the last two pictures! And the song was really awesome...off to research more bands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you. I first heard that song in Gypsy 83. If you haven't seen it, you should. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depeche Mode Concert

Last night, Depeche Mode came to town. After a long week and much time spent looking forward to this, I'm glad to say I was in attendance. Justean and I ventured off to the venue with little incident this time (meaning not getting horribly lost like before). When we arrived, we noticed what a broad spectrum of fans Depeche Mode reached. There were a lot of drunken middle aged people, but besides that, there was a range of alternative types as well as more mainstream looking people. One thing is for sure that most everyone seemed excited to be there. In fact, at one point, I almost got in an altercation with a couple who was so excited, they decided to squeeze right in front of me and cut me off! Let's just say I got them to vacate my vicinity.  It was a great night for a concert. The moon shone brightly, and looming rain clouds dissipated. As for the show itself, Depeche Mode knows how to work a crowd. They sound mostly the same in concert as on their albums. They eve...

The Ammons' House

Swarms of flies, strange noises, shadowy figures, possessed children climbing up the walls...These all sound like elements from a horror film, but these occurrences characterize a recent paranormal case from Indiana that's been circulating through the media. So far, this case has been well-documented with records from local police and Department of Child Services, psychological evaluations, and priest intervention. After reading one article from USA Today, I find  it compelling that a DCS report details one of the children being "lifted and thrown into the wall with nobody touching him." Despite this many written records from seemingly credible sources, there are still some loose ends. Demon in the photo? There's an app for that. First of all, I'm wondering why there is no video or photo documentation. In a case like this, it should have occurred to someone to document this on camera. In the reports I've read, the homeowner hired clairvoyants and reque...

New Hair: 20's Inspired

For my readers who have followed this blog for any considerable amount of time, you probably aren't surprised that I've changed my hair yet again! I got rid of my orange patch, and I exchanged it for a color close to my natural hue. It's been a while since I've had them, but I decided to go with bangs again.  This cut reminds me of Daisy Buchanan's in the recent Gatsby.  Daisy Buchanan I'm a fan of the Roaring Twenties. It was an age of decadence, but also an age of self-discovery. Besides, some very good authors and artists came out of that era. Speaking of 20's artists and writers, If you have not seen Midnight in Paris, then you certainly should.