Skip to main content

Unexpected Finds at Mainstream Stores

     Don't underestimate mainstream stores. With a good eye and a little luck, one can find very charming outfits with a darker aesthetic. Even plain staple items can be modified to your desired looks. Target, department stores, and even, the mall are a few of the many places where you can find alternative or gothic clothing if you look hard enough. Mainstream culture has been showing an affinity for the "edgy look," so take advantage of it.
Here are a few of the items I have found at mainstream chain stores: 
Forever 21

Target

Forever 21
Target

Cracker Barrel Store (restaurant)

Belk Department Store
     My favorite mainstream stores (minus goodwill) are Target, Forever 21, H&M, and Claire's.

 Target is a trendier superstore, so they bought into the "edgy" trend. This being said, target stocks some lovely boots and heels. They also carry lacy items, skinny jeans, pinstriped items, etc.

 Forever 21 is another store that stocks up on items with a darker aesthetic. This store affordable as far as mall prices go. I've seen all sorts of items there. Many flowy sheer pieces, interesting jewelry, and I even saw a motorcycle dress.

H&M: It's not as affordable as Forever 21, but it's more high fashion I suppose. I purchased high-waisted long black skirt from this store. They also carry a line inspired by The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I've also spotted velvet gloves and a mini top hat headband.

 Lastly, Claire's. Claire's is a store geared for pre-teens. It has a lot of cheap quality stuff, but I still love it. More recently, they've been stocking leather boots, Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise, hosiery, and so many gloves and armwarmers. I've been going to this place since I was little, and I don't see myself stopping.
There you have it, folks. Don't overlook mainstream stores. You don't know what you might find.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depeche Mode Concert

Last night, Depeche Mode came to town. After a long week and much time spent looking forward to this, I'm glad to say I was in attendance. Justean and I ventured off to the venue with little incident this time (meaning not getting horribly lost like before). When we arrived, we noticed what a broad spectrum of fans Depeche Mode reached. There were a lot of drunken middle aged people, but besides that, there was a range of alternative types as well as more mainstream looking people. One thing is for sure that most everyone seemed excited to be there. In fact, at one point, I almost got in an altercation with a couple who was so excited, they decided to squeeze right in front of me and cut me off! Let's just say I got them to vacate my vicinity.  It was a great night for a concert. The moon shone brightly, and looming rain clouds dissipated. As for the show itself, Depeche Mode knows how to work a crowd. They sound mostly the same in concert as on their albums. They eve...

New Hair: 20's Inspired

For my readers who have followed this blog for any considerable amount of time, you probably aren't surprised that I've changed my hair yet again! I got rid of my orange patch, and I exchanged it for a color close to my natural hue. It's been a while since I've had them, but I decided to go with bangs again.  This cut reminds me of Daisy Buchanan's in the recent Gatsby.  Daisy Buchanan I'm a fan of the Roaring Twenties. It was an age of decadence, but also an age of self-discovery. Besides, some very good authors and artists came out of that era. Speaking of 20's artists and writers, If you have not seen Midnight in Paris, then you certainly should.

My Aunt's Victorian House

I spent this weekend at my Aunt's house. I figured since I had a school assignment at an observatory near her house, that I'd spend the night while I was out there. She lives in a lovely Victorian house that is filled with antiques and Halloween decorations. They even say it's haunted. (They had me sleep in the "haunted" room, but I didn't see any ghosts. :/). I took some pictures of the house while I was there. Below, is just a portion of the Halloween decorations they keep. Around Halloween time, they go all out to decorate. I'm not kidding. My Aunt was even born on Halloween, and she's the one who really fueled my love of spooky things during my childhood.  This is an antique baby carriage they keep in front of my cousin's room.  This table is in the front parlor. I thought it was beautiful, and the witchy sign is a nice touch. This beauty is probably my favorite thing in the house. It was an antique organ that came from a ve...