Skip to main content

Anticipation for My Summer as a Goth

I remember in 2011, I read on Gothic Charm School that My Summer as a Goth, a coming of age movie, had a kickstarter. I watched the videos and read the posts as a high schooler who had also gotten into Goth during the summer time about a year or so prior. After five years of waiting, the movie released another video on their Vimeo account:


My Summer as a Goth - Kickstarter Video - Finishing Funds - July 2016 from My Summer As A Goth on Vimeo.


The co-producers say that they will be shooting through August, which is approaching very soon! However, they still need more money to edit and produce as well as promote the movie. I'm not sure how the movie will turn out (though Jillian Venters says that they "get Goth right."). Regardless, I'm looking forward to watching the movie, indulging in nostalgia and seeing if any of the experiences of the young goths in the movie coincide with my own.

I'm sure the film will be quite different from another much-loved coming of age film, Gypsy 83, and I'm wondering if it will be reminiscent of the John Hughes brat pack films I so love like The Breakfast Club or Pretty in Pink, in particular. Aside from my hopes and expectations, it's exciting to see some independent filmmakers attempting to create a film that captures the mystery, wonder, passion, rebellion, and self-exploration that one experiences as a teenage Goth.

Comments

  1. Still looking forward to it. But as another friend said, it's en so long, will they need to recast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possible. I think they've recasted some of the characters, but I believe they're keeping the main character.

      Delete
  2. I sure as HECK hope it is better than both Gypsy 83 (uuugh) and The Breakfast Club (yawn). It's been a while. I wonder about recasting, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the breakfast club, and Gypsy 83 inspired me as a teenager. I'm not sure this movie can top those for me. I was wondering about recasting as well. I think they're keeping the main character the same, but I could be wrong.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out about our film My Summer as a Goth! We have just released a sample scene from our first week of production - we hope you enjoy! We are dedicated to getting this film made - please consider donating to our current Kickstarter to help us get there!

    Here is a link to the clip:
    https://vimeo.com/177593932

    Love, Team GOTH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout-out about our film My Summer as a Goth! We have just released a sample scene from our first week of production - we hope you enjoy! We are dedicated to getting this film made - please consider donating to our current Kickstarter to help us get there!

    Here is a link to the clip:
    https://vimeo.com/177593932

    Love, Team GOTH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout-out about our film My Summer as a Goth! We have just released a sample scene from our first week of production - we hope you enjoy! We are dedicated to getting this film made - please consider donating to our current Kickstarter to help us get there!

    Here is a link to the clip:
    https://vimeo.com/177593932

    Love, Team GOTH

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depeche Mode Concert

Last night, Depeche Mode came to town. After a long week and much time spent looking forward to this, I'm glad to say I was in attendance. Justean and I ventured off to the venue with little incident this time (meaning not getting horribly lost like before). When we arrived, we noticed what a broad spectrum of fans Depeche Mode reached. There were a lot of drunken middle aged people, but besides that, there was a range of alternative types as well as more mainstream looking people. One thing is for sure that most everyone seemed excited to be there. In fact, at one point, I almost got in an altercation with a couple who was so excited, they decided to squeeze right in front of me and cut me off! Let's just say I got them to vacate my vicinity.  It was a great night for a concert. The moon shone brightly, and looming rain clouds dissipated. As for the show itself, Depeche Mode knows how to work a crowd. They sound mostly the same in concert as on their albums. They eve...

New Hair: 20's Inspired

For my readers who have followed this blog for any considerable amount of time, you probably aren't surprised that I've changed my hair yet again! I got rid of my orange patch, and I exchanged it for a color close to my natural hue. It's been a while since I've had them, but I decided to go with bangs again.  This cut reminds me of Daisy Buchanan's in the recent Gatsby.  Daisy Buchanan I'm a fan of the Roaring Twenties. It was an age of decadence, but also an age of self-discovery. Besides, some very good authors and artists came out of that era. Speaking of 20's artists and writers, If you have not seen Midnight in Paris, then you certainly should.

Halloween Update: A Change of Plans

So everyone, I am a little disappointed to say that my Marie Antoinette costume is not a go this year. There has been so much piling up on me between things in my personal life, work, and school, that I have been unable to find the time to get the rest of my costume together. I bit off more than I could chew this year, but I know for next time to plan better. Perhaps you'll see the Queen next year... Although I will not be doing Marie Antoinette, I do have something planned that I can easily do with what I have! I will be using my red dress, a hat, roses, black lace and accessories, and of course some creative make-up, to throw together a Día de los Muertos costume. I think it might even be a better option this year, as I plan on visiting my aunt's house who has decorated her home in a  "Dead Hat Society" theme this year. If you don't remember the aunt to whom I am referring, here is the link to my post about her house.  I will take pictures! It's really spe...