Skip to main content

My First Time at a Goth Club

When I walked into the building for Ascension, a Goth/Industrial night, they started playing "This Corrosion." I was introduced to Goth six years ago when I listened to the song, so it was like the night saying "Merry Gothmas, Katie!" I'd been planning on going all week, but when Friday rolled around, I was so exhausted from spending the entire day getting a new car (my last one was totaled) and then visiting family with a long drive back. I came home and wanted to just take a nap, and after taking too long to decide, I got dressed and headed out the door. This past Ascension was the last one held at the Masquerade, a much-loved local venue, and I wanted to experience it before I left for West Virginia.





I'd known about Ascension for a while. One reason why I hadn't gone before this past Friday is because of being a student and having lived an hour away. It's a lame excuse. Aside from that, I told myself for years that I wasn't a cluby-type (although that changed last Summer in Cusco where I loved going to dance clubs). I was too stubborn and nervous to go. I had some fears about not knowing anyone, being too young, and possibly experiencing elitism.

But I went. I got dressed up and did my makeup darker than I have in a while. I crimped my hair, and Ryan let me style him as well. We got there at 1 AM, and we danced until 3 in the morning. They played so many good songs—a good mix of Goth and Industrial—and they had colorful lights and smoke machines.


Here's a video from the night shared by one of the DJs. You won't be able to see Ryan and I in the background, but we're there: 



One of the DJs played this song, "Black Leather" by Prayers, who I learned are pioneers of the "Cholo Goth" movement within the subculture. I'm loving it, so give it a listen:


Most of the Atlanta scene looked to be a little bit older than I am. There was even an old man there with long white hair and a white beard who danced until the close. People dressed in a variety of ways, and everyone there looked like they were having a good time dancing and socializing. It really felt like a judgement-free zone with a sense of community. I even recognized someone I'd seen at the Soft Moon concert, although I didn't go to say "hello."



The last song of the night before they turned on all the lights was "Forever Young," which struck many of us and made me chuckle as it was unexpected. "No one said that Goths didn't have a sense of humor," I told Ryan as we slow-danced like it was prom. The DJ came to the edge of the stage, and everyone cheered. He made a speech and had a stack of fliers in his hand, saying that the new venue invited Ascension to come back and host a night in late August. I had such a fun time and plan on going to the next one before I move.

Comments

  1. I always had to crash with a friend to attend clubs so I can see why you didn't go until now. I'm glad it was a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I'd like to go to the next one if I'm still here. Otherwise, there's a Goth club night in DC, which is a few hours from my new town. I could always crash with my brother who lives in the city.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Devil's Turnaround

Noonday Missionary Baptist Church's Cemetery is also known as "Devil's Turnaround." It is located along a little back road in Kennesaw, Georgia, and most of the graves are scattered in the woods. It is easy to miss, but some of the gravestones are visible from the road. The cemetery has graves from the 1860's. I wouldn't doubt that some of its occupants were slaves at one time. Many say the land is haunted by malevolent spirits who hurl objects and make physical contact--shoving, scratching, and even biting visitors. I could understand why any lingering spirits might be upset: These grounds have been terribly neglected. Much of the graves are broken and toppled over. Some are barely visible through the overgrowth of ivy and weeds. People also say the root of the haunting may be related to rumored cult rituals performed on the property. Located right by the cemetery are huge power lines (high voltage transmission lines). I could hear them b

Why I Still Use CD's

Second Wave Compilation, Talking Heads, and SOM all purchased at a used book store Are CD's obsolete? With all of this digital downloading, most people don't even bother with them. Even vinyls (which are technically obsolete) have a vintage charm which CD's currently lack. I have a friend who jokes, "It's 2013. Who listens to CD's anymore?" while knowing full well that I still buy them. It might seem that I have luddite tendencies--I don't use an e reader either. However, I can make some very good arguments for purchasing CD's. Buying your music on compact disks nowadays is really cheap, especially if you know where to look. I tend to shop for them at Goodwill, thrift stores, and used book stores. I found Ministry's Psalm 69 (in very good condition) at my local Goodwill for only $1. Keep in mind, many people pay that much for a digital copy of one song. When I shop for them at my local used book store, the CD's are guaranteed to be i

Halloween Update: A Change of Plans

So everyone, I am a little disappointed to say that my Marie Antoinette costume is not a go this year. There has been so much piling up on me between things in my personal life, work, and school, that I have been unable to find the time to get the rest of my costume together. I bit off more than I could chew this year, but I know for next time to plan better. Perhaps you'll see the Queen next year... Although I will not be doing Marie Antoinette, I do have something planned that I can easily do with what I have! I will be using my red dress, a hat, roses, black lace and accessories, and of course some creative make-up, to throw together a Día de los Muertos costume. I think it might even be a better option this year, as I plan on visiting my aunt's house who has decorated her home in a  "Dead Hat Society" theme this year. If you don't remember the aunt to whom I am referring, here is the link to my post about her house.  I will take pictures! It's really spe