Skip to main content

What's Brewing for me in 2015

I see it's been over a month since I've last posted, which is actually less time than I thought. It's probably no surprise that I've been busier than ever. In fact, I've been in a perpetual state of busyness for as long as I can recall. I thought it'd be considerate to give an update because a lot of things are happening this year.

The most exciting are my plans for Summer. For two months, from May through July, I will be visiting Cusco, Peru! This will be my first time abroad and the longest amount of time away from home. I will be studying and doing some service work (probably a teacher's assistant at a primary school). I'm going to take a Spanish literature class and a Quechua class. Both will be taught in Spanish. I'll be staying with a host family too! Hopefully, this will be the push I need to finally gain fluency in Spanish. Fluency is a really ambiguous concept anyway. I've been taking Spanish on and off for about seven years, and only recently, I can consider myself a high-intermediate learner. 

I'm really looking forward to exploring the Andes and walking among the beautiful mix of Spanish and Inca architecture, trying the traditional foods, petting the llamas, seeing Machu Picchu, and even visiting the Amazon. I have my language interview this Friday so they can place me. After that, they can officially accept me into the program. 

As far as concerts go, my boyfriend took me to see Saint-Saen's "organ symphony," and we're going next month to see The Church.


Speaking of The Church, Easter is approaching, and I am going to be received into the one holy and apostolic catholic church with a capital 'C'. You read correctly! I'm becoming Catholic. It's a lengthy and interesting story, and I may post about it sometime soon.

On a side note, did you know the Catholic church is the most Gothic religion ever? It invented "Gothic," actually. We have all kinds of Gothic things like the architecture (of course), exorcisms, drinking blood every Sunday, the Sorrowful Mysteries, and these other reasons listed at this webpage that I found, "Top Ten Reasons why Catholicism is so Goth."

That's really it for me right now! It's going to be an interesting year filled with life-changes. I hope everyone is thriving and continues to do so throughout the year.  

Comments

  1. Exploring the Andes sounds wonderful! Saint-Saens is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much look forward to this Summer. Also, I hope to one day see Carnival of the Animals.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Devil's Turnaround

Noonday Missionary Baptist Church's Cemetery is also known as "Devil's Turnaround." It is located along a little back road in Kennesaw, Georgia, and most of the graves are scattered in the woods. It is easy to miss, but some of the gravestones are visible from the road. The cemetery has graves from the 1860's. I wouldn't doubt that some of its occupants were slaves at one time. Many say the land is haunted by malevolent spirits who hurl objects and make physical contact--shoving, scratching, and even biting visitors. I could understand why any lingering spirits might be upset: These grounds have been terribly neglected. Much of the graves are broken and toppled over. Some are barely visible through the overgrowth of ivy and weeds. People also say the root of the haunting may be related to rumored cult rituals performed on the property. Located right by the cemetery are huge power lines (high voltage transmission lines). I could hear them b

Why I Still Use CD's

Second Wave Compilation, Talking Heads, and SOM all purchased at a used book store Are CD's obsolete? With all of this digital downloading, most people don't even bother with them. Even vinyls (which are technically obsolete) have a vintage charm which CD's currently lack. I have a friend who jokes, "It's 2013. Who listens to CD's anymore?" while knowing full well that I still buy them. It might seem that I have luddite tendencies--I don't use an e reader either. However, I can make some very good arguments for purchasing CD's. Buying your music on compact disks nowadays is really cheap, especially if you know where to look. I tend to shop for them at Goodwill, thrift stores, and used book stores. I found Ministry's Psalm 69 (in very good condition) at my local Goodwill for only $1. Keep in mind, many people pay that much for a digital copy of one song. When I shop for them at my local used book store, the CD's are guaranteed to be i

DIY Moon Patch

Sometimes, I get the inexplicable desire to paint patches. This time, I had an image of the moon phases in my head. The next thing I knew, I was pinning the patch on to the back of my jean vest. I was very pleased with how it turned out. What do you think? In progress The finished product