Skip to main content

On My (Fairly) Recent Vegetarianism

It has dawned on me that I have been a vegetarian for almost five whole months! I made the decision originally because I was experiencing some major GI issues, for which I had to go on horrible medication, and I thought that cutting meat out of my diet would be the best decision for my health. What really put my heart into it, however, was an experience I had on the long drive home from school. That evening, a chicken truck slowly pulled into the lane beside me during bumper-to-bumper traffic. I saw a myriad of large, half-deplumed chickens stuffed into stacks of unreasonably small metal cages. None of them were moving at first, so part of me wondered if they were stunned or already dead. That was until I saw a few of them blinking and barely moving their heads. Seeing that brought tears to my eyes. I felt a choke in my throat as I wondered why the meat industry had to be so cruel and unnatural. Witnessing this was the impetus to becoming vegetarian, which has had many positive impacts on my health and cooking skills.

For starters, my symptoms have improved a great deal. Not only is my digestion more like that of a normal person, but the rosacea-looking rash on my face has disappeared, and my complexion looks much healthier! I also have more energy throughout the day, which is a definite plus. Another perk is that I am able to maintain a healthy weight with little effort. This is great, since I don't always have make time to exercise. Although I assumed there would be health benefits, one thing I didn't realize was how easy it would be.
Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo is the best thing ever, especially if you are craving meat.

I thought that not eating meat would be a huge obstacle (and sacrifice) because I am a lover of good food, so my solution was learning to cook more of a variety. Since vegetarian food is harder to come by where I come from, it's much cheaper and easier for me to make my own. I have tried so many recipes that I would not have tried before, and my cooking technique keeps getting better. The funny thing is that I don't hardly crave meat anymore, which was unexpected. Cooking more has also forced me to become more nutrition-minded, meaning that I am more conscious of the kinds of foods I should be eating to get the most nutrients.

So far, it's been a great ride, and I don't have any desire to stop this diet. I encourage everyone to try a vegetarian diet. It may seem tough, but it is well worth the health benefits. Perhaps in a future post, I will post some go-to recipes of mine.

Comments

  1. You tell so many good reasons why to be a vegetarian. I haven't taken that step yet. But I always choose to eat swedish breed meat because we have the strictest animal protection laws in the world. But if you feel so much better and healthier without meat you definitely shouldn't eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely for stricter animal protection laws in the US like in Sweden. The culture here is definitely a culture of eating meat--at every meal even. It is unnecessary, and the meat industry that tries to keep up not only employs cruel and unnatural practices, but it's also unsanitary and exploitative of farmers. Thank you for commenting! I'll look into the Swedish animal protection laws.

      Delete
  2. That's cool, I'm so glad you're seeing health improvements with your dietary improvements!

    I started getting into health food a few years ago, and the improvement of my psoriatic arthritis has been incredible.

    Faux chorizo, interesting! I found that using red curry paste in scrambled eggs makes a viable alternative to huevos con chorizo, heh heh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is incredible about your health improvements! Also, I never thought of using red curry paste! Thank you for the advice.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Devil's Turnaround

Noonday Missionary Baptist Church's Cemetery is also known as "Devil's Turnaround." It is located along a little back road in Kennesaw, Georgia, and most of the graves are scattered in the woods. It is easy to miss, but some of the gravestones are visible from the road. The cemetery has graves from the 1860's. I wouldn't doubt that some of its occupants were slaves at one time. Many say the land is haunted by malevolent spirits who hurl objects and make physical contact--shoving, scratching, and even biting visitors. I could understand why any lingering spirits might be upset: These grounds have been terribly neglected. Much of the graves are broken and toppled over. Some are barely visible through the overgrowth of ivy and weeds. People also say the root of the haunting may be related to rumored cult rituals performed on the property. Located right by the cemetery are huge power lines (high voltage transmission lines). I could hear them b

Why I Still Use CD's

Second Wave Compilation, Talking Heads, and SOM all purchased at a used book store Are CD's obsolete? With all of this digital downloading, most people don't even bother with them. Even vinyls (which are technically obsolete) have a vintage charm which CD's currently lack. I have a friend who jokes, "It's 2013. Who listens to CD's anymore?" while knowing full well that I still buy them. It might seem that I have luddite tendencies--I don't use an e reader either. However, I can make some very good arguments for purchasing CD's. Buying your music on compact disks nowadays is really cheap, especially if you know where to look. I tend to shop for them at Goodwill, thrift stores, and used book stores. I found Ministry's Psalm 69 (in very good condition) at my local Goodwill for only $1. Keep in mind, many people pay that much for a digital copy of one song. When I shop for them at my local used book store, the CD's are guaranteed to be i

DIY Moon Patch

Sometimes, I get the inexplicable desire to paint patches. This time, I had an image of the moon phases in my head. The next thing I knew, I was pinning the patch on to the back of my jean vest. I was very pleased with how it turned out. What do you think? In progress The finished product