Skip to main content

Gabriel García Márquez Ha Muerto

Gabriel García Márquez, one of the greatest authors of our time, slipped away on 17 of March earlier this week. He was born in Colombia among political turmoil. This was the perfect climate to produce Magical Realist writing, and his writing is something special.  The first time I heard about this author was when a professor of mine recommended my class to read One Hundred Years of Solitude, or Cien Años de Soledad in Spanish. I wasn't sure what this book was about, but I really liked the sound of Magical Realism as a genre. I took my professor's recommendation, put it on my Summer reading list, and I never looked back. It is one of my favorite novels, if not my absolute favorites. I was enthralled and challenged the entire duration of the book.

I have plans to read Love in the Time of Cholera, another book by Márquez, this Summer. For anyone who is reading this post, please pledge to read something from Márquez in his memory! I doubt you'll be disappointed.

 Sr. Márquez, estoy triste, pero vivirá en los corazones de mucha gente. Sus mariposas amarillas se guiarán a casa. 
(Mr. Márquez, I am sad, but you will live in the hearts of many people. Your yellow butterflies will guide you home.)


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween Update: A Change of Plans

So everyone, I am a little disappointed to say that my Marie Antoinette costume is not a go this year. There has been so much piling up on me between things in my personal life, work, and school, that I have been unable to find the time to get the rest of my costume together. I bit off more than I could chew this year, but I know for next time to plan better. Perhaps you'll see the Queen next year... Although I will not be doing Marie Antoinette, I do have something planned that I can easily do with what I have! I will be using my red dress, a hat, roses, black lace and accessories, and of course some creative make-up, to throw together a Día de los Muertos costume. I think it might even be a better option this year, as I plan on visiting my aunt's house who has decorated her home in a  "Dead Hat Society" theme this year. If you don't remember the aunt to whom I am referring, here is the link to my post about her house.  I will take pictures! It's really spe...

New Hair: 20's Inspired

For my readers who have followed this blog for any considerable amount of time, you probably aren't surprised that I've changed my hair yet again! I got rid of my orange patch, and I exchanged it for a color close to my natural hue. It's been a while since I've had them, but I decided to go with bangs again.  This cut reminds me of Daisy Buchanan's in the recent Gatsby.  Daisy Buchanan I'm a fan of the Roaring Twenties. It was an age of decadence, but also an age of self-discovery. Besides, some very good authors and artists came out of that era. Speaking of 20's artists and writers, If you have not seen Midnight in Paris, then you certainly should.

My Aunt's Victorian House

I spent this weekend at my Aunt's house. I figured since I had a school assignment at an observatory near her house, that I'd spend the night while I was out there. She lives in a lovely Victorian house that is filled with antiques and Halloween decorations. They even say it's haunted. (They had me sleep in the "haunted" room, but I didn't see any ghosts. :/). I took some pictures of the house while I was there. Below, is just a portion of the Halloween decorations they keep. Around Halloween time, they go all out to decorate. I'm not kidding. My Aunt was even born on Halloween, and she's the one who really fueled my love of spooky things during my childhood.  This is an antique baby carriage they keep in front of my cousin's room.  This table is in the front parlor. I thought it was beautiful, and the witchy sign is a nice touch. This beauty is probably my favorite thing in the house. It was an antique organ that came from a ve...