Friday, September 27, 2013

Halloween is Creeping Up on Us!

Fall is officially here, and the month of October is right around the corner. I find myself still in the contemplation stages for my Halloween costume. Most years I'm very last minute, but I can't afford to procrastinate this time around. That's because I've decided on a more elaborate costume for this Hallow's Eve: Marie Antoinette (with a slashed neck, of course).

Source
I've been searching online for inspiration, and I've been developing a tentative plan for how I'm going to pursue this costume. For the dress, I will keep an eye out for a prom dress at a local thrift store. It will need to be a sturdy fabric, preferably in a mid-to-light blue. I will need to make any necessary alterations and add sleeves, bows, and lace. As for the poof under the skirt, my idea involves sewing a couple of small pillows to tie to my hips. This would be easier that making a pannier. What I am most worried about, besides my limited time, is the wig. I cannot afford a high-quality costume wig, and I am also not very good with styling hair. Fortunately, there are online tutorials for my undertakings.
Source
 Since this will be a process, I plan on posting occasional costume updates. Keep your eyes peeled. I wish everyone the best of luck this season with whatever your plans may be.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that costume will be amazing! I'm always short on costume ideas and usually piece something together from what I already have in my closet. Can't wait to see the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just hope it turns out well.

      Delete
  2. I think this is going to be the best costume ever! :-) I can't wait to see what you do. I can see how the hair might be difficult... Good luck. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! It will be difficult but worth the trouble.

      Delete
  3. I have been a Marie Antoinette (meets Madonna), and it was certainly an attention-grabber :). Maybe you could offer everyone a slice of cake?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you outdo John Goodman and his stump?

    ReplyDelete