Skip to main content

March 2014 Update

There are some exciting things developing in my life recently, and I'd like to share a little because, naturally, I'm excited.

I'm on Spring Break right now, and it's not really a break, because I will be doing a considerable amount of schoolwork. I'm gearing up for a writing tutor conference being held at my school. I will be one of the speakers, and I will be presenting on the inherently contradictory oppressive yet liberating situation of writing studios. I'm very much looking forward to it, but as of now, I'm completely unprepared. I don't even have a paper written up, but when I do, I hope to be able to get it published in a journal. Wish me luck!

I'm also taking a couple of courses this Summer. They're Brit Lit and Applied Linguistics! I'm taking the linguistics courses to earn me my TEFL certificate, so I could do literacy outreach with refugees in the states, or I could teach abroad if that's where life takes me. I'm also minoring in Spanish, so this will help me if I ever move to South America (which is my dream). Speaking of moving, it looks as if I will be moving to the city for the duration of the Summer. It's a nice area (a sublet), and there's a cat involved. It's a potential adventure.

Something that you might all be interested in is that I'm back to ghost hunting! I took a little break for a while. My group went on hiatus, but I recently went on two with another group. I found out a couple of weeks ago, actually, that my group is back in business. We will be meeting up soon, and we're planning on doing an overnight investigation at an abandoned hospital from the 1930's! I've never actually spent the night on location before, so I'm a little freaked out and ecstatic at the same time.

And also, can anyone refer me to any good vegetarian recipes or favorite brands? I'm going vegetarian for a few different reasons. I don't know how long it will last, but it will definitely take some concerted effort. By the way, I just had some wicked quinoa sliders today, and I need to get the recipe.

I know I'm not the most avid blogger, but I want to thank all my followers for sticking with my throughout many life changes (and blog changes). I might not be able to post as regularly as I'd like, but I'm not giving up anytime soon!

Comments

  1. Wow! So much exciting stuff! the writing course, ghost hunting and a cat! I wish you the best of luck! I hope to hear about your adventures when you have the time, but remember most of all to just live in the moment and have an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very excited. I'll make sure to post.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that IS a lot of new things happening! I'll be looking forward to hearing how your night in the hospital goes ... you're much braver than I, OddGhoulOut!

    If you're going vegetarian, I highly recommend any of the Moosewood cookbooks for tasty recipes. Also, make sure you're getting enough vitamin B12 because, if I remember correctly, that's the one vegetarians often become deficient in. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'm that brave! If I chicken out, that'd ruin my reputation though. ;)

      Thank you for the suggestions! And also, I used to take B12 often, but I need to go out and get another bottle.

      Delete
  3. Great news! Grab all the opportunities you can.

    As for recipes... my favourite would have to be a cottage pie where the meat is replaced by any kind of vegetable you can lay your hands on, plus a few legumes. And lots of Moroccan spice. Really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so many wonderful things going on! good luck with the paper, I'm sure you'll do well. Also, good luck with becoming a vegetarian. I'm working my way to being one as well (I'm currently a pescetarian)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck on becoming vegetarian. It's been a lot easier transitioning than I thought.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Devil's Turnaround

Noonday Missionary Baptist Church's Cemetery is also known as "Devil's Turnaround." It is located along a little back road in Kennesaw, Georgia, and most of the graves are scattered in the woods. It is easy to miss, but some of the gravestones are visible from the road. The cemetery has graves from the 1860's. I wouldn't doubt that some of its occupants were slaves at one time. Many say the land is haunted by malevolent spirits who hurl objects and make physical contact--shoving, scratching, and even biting visitors. I could understand why any lingering spirits might be upset: These grounds have been terribly neglected. Much of the graves are broken and toppled over. Some are barely visible through the overgrowth of ivy and weeds. People also say the root of the haunting may be related to rumored cult rituals performed on the property. Located right by the cemetery are huge power lines (high voltage transmission lines). I could hear them b

DIY Moon Patch

Sometimes, I get the inexplicable desire to paint patches. This time, I had an image of the moon phases in my head. The next thing I knew, I was pinning the patch on to the back of my jean vest. I was very pleased with how it turned out. What do you think? In progress The finished product

Why I Still Use CD's

Second Wave Compilation, Talking Heads, and SOM all purchased at a used book store Are CD's obsolete? With all of this digital downloading, most people don't even bother with them. Even vinyls (which are technically obsolete) have a vintage charm which CD's currently lack. I have a friend who jokes, "It's 2013. Who listens to CD's anymore?" while knowing full well that I still buy them. It might seem that I have luddite tendencies--I don't use an e reader either. However, I can make some very good arguments for purchasing CD's. Buying your music on compact disks nowadays is really cheap, especially if you know where to look. I tend to shop for them at Goodwill, thrift stores, and used book stores. I found Ministry's Psalm 69 (in very good condition) at my local Goodwill for only $1. Keep in mind, many people pay that much for a digital copy of one song. When I shop for them at my local used book store, the CD's are guaranteed to be i