Skip to main content

Halloween DIY: Under the Dress

I took a field trip over to my local fabric store this weekend with the intention of purchasing supplies for my pillow pannier (while scouting pretty fabric and lace for my next purchase). For those of you who don't know what a pannier is, they're the big poofy false hips. Instead of making a traditional hoop pannier, which can be costly, I decided to sew two pillows. They should work just as well. 


I brought home some white muslin, which I got for $2.99/yard. I also snagged a large bag of fiberfill for $5.99. I have plenty of this stuff left over, so for the materials I used to make the pannier, it cost about $5.00. First, I cut out the shape of the pillows. After I pinned them, I prepared my machine. All in all, it was incredibly easy to sew. The whole thing took less than an hour. 

My huge bag of fiberfill
 After I sewed the pillows, I sewed up the back. I then sewed two spare ribbons to the front.

Here is the finished product. In the picture below, I am wearing an old plastic-boned corset I snagged from Goodwill a while back. It's not a real corset, and it's somewhat cone-shaped. This is perfect for the silhouette of the 18th century. They used stay corsets back then, so they were not meant to create hourglass curves; stays are supposed to bind. 

I'll continue to update as I go along my DIY adventure. In the meanwhile, I hope you all enjoy your October. Halloween is approaching (the whole month is Halloween for me), and I hope you are getting prepared. Tell me what you think, and let me know what you have planned this year.

Comments

  1. Ooo, can't wait to see what that looks like with a skirt over it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dress still needs a lot of work, but I'm hoping it resembles something close to Marie Antoinette.

      Delete
  2. Very exciting, it is fun to see the process as it all goes along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It already appears as though you're wearing a period outfit; it's amazing that it's just the foundations of your overall costume-- you did a fine job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! I look like a 1920's bather in these pictures. ;)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Kind of! It's supposed to be more of a pannier, which is like a half of a hoop skirt.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Devil's Turnaround

Noonday Missionary Baptist Church's Cemetery is also known as "Devil's Turnaround." It is located along a little back road in Kennesaw, Georgia, and most of the graves are scattered in the woods. It is easy to miss, but some of the gravestones are visible from the road. The cemetery has graves from the 1860's. I wouldn't doubt that some of its occupants were slaves at one time. Many say the land is haunted by malevolent spirits who hurl objects and make physical contact--shoving, scratching, and even biting visitors. I could understand why any lingering spirits might be upset: These grounds have been terribly neglected. Much of the graves are broken and toppled over. Some are barely visible through the overgrowth of ivy and weeds. People also say the root of the haunting may be related to rumored cult rituals performed on the property. Located right by the cemetery are huge power lines (high voltage transmission lines). I could hear them b

Why I Still Use CD's

Second Wave Compilation, Talking Heads, and SOM all purchased at a used book store Are CD's obsolete? With all of this digital downloading, most people don't even bother with them. Even vinyls (which are technically obsolete) have a vintage charm which CD's currently lack. I have a friend who jokes, "It's 2013. Who listens to CD's anymore?" while knowing full well that I still buy them. It might seem that I have luddite tendencies--I don't use an e reader either. However, I can make some very good arguments for purchasing CD's. Buying your music on compact disks nowadays is really cheap, especially if you know where to look. I tend to shop for them at Goodwill, thrift stores, and used book stores. I found Ministry's Psalm 69 (in very good condition) at my local Goodwill for only $1. Keep in mind, many people pay that much for a digital copy of one song. When I shop for them at my local used book store, the CD's are guaranteed to be i

DIY Moon Patch

Sometimes, I get the inexplicable desire to paint patches. This time, I had an image of the moon phases in my head. The next thing I knew, I was pinning the patch on to the back of my jean vest. I was very pleased with how it turned out. What do you think? In progress The finished product