Skip to main content

This One Got a Job

I finished college a few couple of months ago, and I'm glad to say that I got a job (sorta)! I formally accepted a year of service (renewable for a second year) with AmeriCorps, a group similar to Peace Corps. I will be living and working in Thomas, West Virginia. It's a small town with about 600 residents, surrounded by national forest.

 If you're curious, I'll answer some questions I've gotten

"So what will you be doing?"

I'll be working with a few different organizations in the Appalachian Forest Heritage Area, including Tucker County Development Authority, Tucker County Commission, and New Historic Thomas. These organizations work on sustainable economic and community development throughout the county. New Historic Thomas works specifically in the city of Thomas, doing revitalization and preservation of the community's history, cultural heritage, and resources. I will be helping these organizations, but the specific possibilities for what I will do remain open. I could be helping recruit local artists to do murals, working on the trails, speaking with folks at the legislature, and even keeping a blog.

This video was created by one of the organizations I'll be working with:



"Wait, didn't you get an English degree?"

What most people don't realize is that English majors can do anything and everything! My degree has given me a strong foundation in written communication as well as critical thinking skills. I've also gotten experience teaching, doing presentations at conferences, speaking publicly as a tour guide and in meetings, and recruiting volunteers--not to mention my experience in general badassery. Jokes aside, a B.A. in English can go far. 

"Why don't you want to teach or stay in academia?"

When I started my degree, all I knew was that I loved to read and write. After studying and having an assistantship with the department, I realized that academia was not the place for me. I like being outdoors, for one. However, my main reasons are as follows: I'm not a fan of the structure of academia, which has remained virtually the same since the Middle Ages. This makes it impossible to change, which is astounding considering the amount of self-proclaimed "progressives" in the field. I don't like how separate (ivory tower, even) it is from the broader community. I also realized that it's become highly business-driven, which doesn't seem to fit well with academic work, which takes time and spontaneity. 

I also got experience teaching a variety of age groups, and it's safe to say that it's not the career for me...(although I do enjoy tutoring, which is quite different). 

I know I will continue to write, and I will try to publish. I also know that I have a passion for community work and public speaking. I'm contemplating going into a sustainability-related field in the future, and this position seemed to be a wonderful fit that would give experience and valuable skills. 

"Why would you want to live in West Virginia?"

West Virginia and the Appalachian region in general have been struggling with some significant issues. Mountaintop removal has been cutting the tops off of their beautiful mountains, destroying ecosystems and dumping the debris into streams and rivers, contaminating the water. The region's also seen the clear cutting of trees and strip mining, which obviously harm their natural resources. The mining industries that employed many were not usually Appalachian-owned, so the money didn't stay in the region. Additionally, many of the towns, including Thomas, suffered after the coal mines left. Appalachia has some of the most extreme poverty in the nation. To add insult to injury, there is an unfortunate "ignorant hillbilly" stereotype (think Deliverance) that hovers over the region and denies that any culture or history emerges from the place. I've talked with folks who have actually said that "there's no culture where you are going." 

Actually, though, there's plenty of culture! They have folk art and music, hymns, Bluegrass, storytelling, blood feuds, and a lot of passionate people who love their land and will fight to protect it. There's also a lot of natural beauty here with many different micro-climates, rock formations, and waterfalls, so a lot of people are into hiking, mountain biking, and skiing. I'm really looking forward to living in this place.

A video about Tucker County: 


Feel free to ask any questions! 

Comments

  1. Well, good for you. I know about AmeriCorps because I was part of Job Corps for two years and my entire campus was given an in-depth presentation about it. Definitely was NOT for me, heh. Good luck! And about that stereotype there...I really hate that stereotype, indeed...Shame, really...Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear from you! It's been a long time. I'm not familiar with Job Corps, but I will look it up. I'm excited about the position since it will allow me a lot of freedom to take on different projects. Also, it's a good chance for me to transition into a new field. I'm also looking forward to (possibly) doing open mic night at a local cafe...? It will be a first for me. I'd like to learn the banjo as well for this. My great grandmother played it in a band, so it would be neat to connect with my country roots.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like great experience to have a job that lets you help the environment and do something you are passionate about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a job there that I applied for that had a stronger conservation focus, but they wanted someone with a stronger background in that. The one that I got is great because it focuses on economy, culture, and environment.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Devil's Turnaround

Noonday Missionary Baptist Church's Cemetery is also known as "Devil's Turnaround." It is located along a little back road in Kennesaw, Georgia, and most of the graves are scattered in the woods. It is easy to miss, but some of the gravestones are visible from the road. The cemetery has graves from the 1860's. I wouldn't doubt that some of its occupants were slaves at one time. Many say the land is haunted by malevolent spirits who hurl objects and make physical contact--shoving, scratching, and even biting visitors. I could understand why any lingering spirits might be upset: These grounds have been terribly neglected. Much of the graves are broken and toppled over. Some are barely visible through the overgrowth of ivy and weeds. People also say the root of the haunting may be related to rumored cult rituals performed on the property. Located right by the cemetery are huge power lines (high voltage transmission lines). I could hear them b

Why I Still Use CD's

Second Wave Compilation, Talking Heads, and SOM all purchased at a used book store Are CD's obsolete? With all of this digital downloading, most people don't even bother with them. Even vinyls (which are technically obsolete) have a vintage charm which CD's currently lack. I have a friend who jokes, "It's 2013. Who listens to CD's anymore?" while knowing full well that I still buy them. It might seem that I have luddite tendencies--I don't use an e reader either. However, I can make some very good arguments for purchasing CD's. Buying your music on compact disks nowadays is really cheap, especially if you know where to look. I tend to shop for them at Goodwill, thrift stores, and used book stores. I found Ministry's Psalm 69 (in very good condition) at my local Goodwill for only $1. Keep in mind, many people pay that much for a digital copy of one song. When I shop for them at my local used book store, the CD's are guaranteed to be i

Halloween Update: A Change of Plans

So everyone, I am a little disappointed to say that my Marie Antoinette costume is not a go this year. There has been so much piling up on me between things in my personal life, work, and school, that I have been unable to find the time to get the rest of my costume together. I bit off more than I could chew this year, but I know for next time to plan better. Perhaps you'll see the Queen next year... Although I will not be doing Marie Antoinette, I do have something planned that I can easily do with what I have! I will be using my red dress, a hat, roses, black lace and accessories, and of course some creative make-up, to throw together a Día de los Muertos costume. I think it might even be a better option this year, as I plan on visiting my aunt's house who has decorated her home in a  "Dead Hat Society" theme this year. If you don't remember the aunt to whom I am referring, here is the link to my post about her house.  I will take pictures! It's really spe