Skip to main content

The Dracula Ballet


source
I've read Dracula multiple times, and it just gets better every time I read it. It's he same with the movies; they never get old. When I heard that The Atlanta Ballet was putting on Michael Pink's Dracula, I was thrilled. The Count was my fictional husband some years ago, and I recently found out that it was the same way with my mom. We both decided to get all dolled up for this event.
my mother and I

source
The show was absolutely mesmerizing. A ghostly blue light was cast upon the set, occasionally interrupted by flashes of lightning. The light effects even produced video the of train to Transylvania and  the oceanic scene of Whitby. The music composition for this show very accurately captured the mood. At many parts, there was an eerie sound of a heartbeat in the background while violins trilled. The set was beautifully built with the look of wrought iron and stone. Even the costumes were perfect. Mina's white gossamer dress was so ethereal. Dracula's iconic long red coat covered his feet, so he appeared to float. 
source
The choreography was brilliant. The dancing captured the dark eroticism and horror of this tale, making words unnecessary. All the characters had very precise movements, and they were very skilled. Dracula especially had very snake-like motions that gave me chills. The fact that fog trailed his feet made him seem to glide even more.
source
This performance, like any good show, left the audience quiet with reflection. I even found myself craving silence on the ride home while moments from the ballet pulsed in my brain. I was so fortunate to have the opportunity to go. If I had the money, this is a production I would definitely see again. Here is a video below where you can catch a glimpse of this performance:

Comments

  1. Just watching the video makes me wish I could see it in person. It looks awesome - you and your mom are very lucky! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome, and we were very lucky. If the ballet comes into your area,I definitely recommend seeing it!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful purple boots!

    I love ballet/theatre-- this looks like a really great one, lucky you!
    The last show I went to was a musical called Nevermore. It was an imaginary tale of the life and works of Edgar A. Poe. Superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Nevermore sounds like something I'd want to see. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so jealous, that looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard such good things about this ballet, I wish I could have seen it for myself! Maybe it will come to Australia one day!

    Are you wearing metallic purple boots? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your local ballet company puts on this production. It's not something any Dracula fan should miss! I am wearing metallic purple boots, by the way. They're my special boots. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Devil's Turnaround

Noonday Missionary Baptist Church's Cemetery is also known as "Devil's Turnaround." It is located along a little back road in Kennesaw, Georgia, and most of the graves are scattered in the woods. It is easy to miss, but some of the gravestones are visible from the road. The cemetery has graves from the 1860's. I wouldn't doubt that some of its occupants were slaves at one time. Many say the land is haunted by malevolent spirits who hurl objects and make physical contact--shoving, scratching, and even biting visitors. I could understand why any lingering spirits might be upset: These grounds have been terribly neglected. Much of the graves are broken and toppled over. Some are barely visible through the overgrowth of ivy and weeds. People also say the root of the haunting may be related to rumored cult rituals performed on the property. Located right by the cemetery are huge power lines (high voltage transmission lines). I could hear them b

DIY Moon Patch

Sometimes, I get the inexplicable desire to paint patches. This time, I had an image of the moon phases in my head. The next thing I knew, I was pinning the patch on to the back of my jean vest. I was very pleased with how it turned out. What do you think? In progress The finished product

Why I Still Use CD's

Second Wave Compilation, Talking Heads, and SOM all purchased at a used book store Are CD's obsolete? With all of this digital downloading, most people don't even bother with them. Even vinyls (which are technically obsolete) have a vintage charm which CD's currently lack. I have a friend who jokes, "It's 2013. Who listens to CD's anymore?" while knowing full well that I still buy them. It might seem that I have luddite tendencies--I don't use an e reader either. However, I can make some very good arguments for purchasing CD's. Buying your music on compact disks nowadays is really cheap, especially if you know where to look. I tend to shop for them at Goodwill, thrift stores, and used book stores. I found Ministry's Psalm 69 (in very good condition) at my local Goodwill for only $1. Keep in mind, many people pay that much for a digital copy of one song. When I shop for them at my local used book store, the CD's are guaranteed to be i