Skip to main content

Halloween #TBT

I know "time flies" is a cliche, but it's exactly what I'm feeling. I was going to write about last year's Halloween, but then I remembered the Halloween on my mind actually happened two years ago! I'm too young for time to go by so fast. Yet it does. 

Our Titania and Bottom costumes
Today I find myself reminiscing about the Halloween when Ryan came to visit me in West Virginia, and we made the drive to the gorgeous, sprawling Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum in Weston. (Click the link for pictures and more information.) I had heard about this place for years as a paranormal investigator, not fully realizing it was so close to where I lived in the Mountain State. 

It's one of those huge Gothic structures that dominates the landscape. The town of Weston itself needs some tender loving care. Although it is making progress, plenty of the buildings and homes are "blighted." But then you turn a corner and this magnificent former asylum stretches out behind the main street. 

We took a ghost tour there completely in the dark except for the light of our flashlights. It was unlike any ghost tour I'd experienced because after telling the stories, the guide let everyone explore on their own.  After that, we made our way down to the BYOB Halloween party, where we drank Mothman black IPA beer, people watched and listened to a live rock band. 

"Robert Smith" at the asylum party
It was a great night, barring the fact that when we got back to the house, I found out my drunk roommates and friends accidentally let my cat out of the house into the cold, windy evening. "Cold and windy" is putting it lightly. The wind howled like banshees, and it was so cold we weren't sure the cat would survive if she didn't take shelter. I called for her and looked everywhere before finally going to sleep. In the morning, the mayor of my town drove around looking for her. I ended up finding her hiding underneath the porch. She was so frightened that the only sound she could make was the tiniest squeak. 

Now I'm living back in Georgia. It was recently 90 degrees Fahrenheit, and the leaves are still green. I'm working the ghost tours for fun this year, even though I work full time. I'm still planning how I'd like to enjoy this Halloween season. Last night we relaxed during a dark and stormy evening, courtesy of Hurricane Michael. I lit a pumpkin candle, and we ate dinner while watching the very beginning of the vampire movie Byzantium. Our wi-fi kept resetting because of disturbances on the power line, so we couldn't finish it.

Fall colors in Canaan Valley, WV.
I wish you all many spooky blessings this season. And remember, be careful out there. You never know what you might find when you venture out into the night. (This is where I wink.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devil's Turnaround

Noonday Missionary Baptist Church's Cemetery is also known as "Devil's Turnaround." It is located along a little back road in Kennesaw, Georgia, and most of the graves are scattered in the woods. It is easy to miss, but some of the gravestones are visible from the road. The cemetery has graves from the 1860's. I wouldn't doubt that some of its occupants were slaves at one time. Many say the land is haunted by malevolent spirits who hurl objects and make physical contact--shoving, scratching, and even biting visitors. I could understand why any lingering spirits might be upset: These grounds have been terribly neglected. Much of the graves are broken and toppled over. Some are barely visible through the overgrowth of ivy and weeds. People also say the root of the haunting may be related to rumored cult rituals performed on the property. Located right by the cemetery are huge power lines (high voltage transmission lines). I could hear them b

Depeche Mode Concert

Last night, Depeche Mode came to town. After a long week and much time spent looking forward to this, I'm glad to say I was in attendance. Justean and I ventured off to the venue with little incident this time (meaning not getting horribly lost like before). When we arrived, we noticed what a broad spectrum of fans Depeche Mode reached. There were a lot of drunken middle aged people, but besides that, there was a range of alternative types as well as more mainstream looking people. One thing is for sure that most everyone seemed excited to be there. In fact, at one point, I almost got in an altercation with a couple who was so excited, they decided to squeeze right in front of me and cut me off! Let's just say I got them to vacate my vicinity.  It was a great night for a concert. The moon shone brightly, and looming rain clouds dissipated. As for the show itself, Depeche Mode knows how to work a crowd. They sound mostly the same in concert as on their albums. They eve

Decatur Cemetery

Established in 1823, Decatur Cemetery is older than the city of Atlanta itself.  Through the iron gates sprawled pathways lined by stone walls and oak trees. There were monuments of varying sizes and shapes, some worn and peppered with lichen.   Within the cemetery, there are a few mysterious letterbox locations. Letterboxing is a past time similar to geocaching. Participants use riddles to find hidden boxes. Inside the box is a pad of paper that is stamped and dated by the finders. My boyfriend and I trekked through the cemetery to find the hidden boxes. We managed to find one of the three, which was soaked with water. Although we didn't find all, our cemetery exploration proved successful. soaked letterbox, hiding under the tree trunk. Thomas Holley Chivers Upon research, I found that Decatur Cemetery is home to a man named Thomas Holley Chivers. Chivers was a Medical Doctor who became a poet, achieving mild fame at the time. He is famous for his friendship an