Skip to main content

What Have I Been Doing with my Life?

I'd say, "Wow, it's been a whole year since I've updated my blog! Where has the time gone?" but I don't think that would be genuine. I know it's been a year.

On my long to-do list, blogging has been the very last item. Although, lately I find myself missing the semi-anonymous space and group of supportive followers to whom I could pour out my thoughts.

So, I'll give a Reader's Digest update of all that's happened since February of 2017:
  1. I finished a tough year of service with AmeriCorps in West Virginia.
  2. I moved back to Atlanta to live with my then recently divorced parents until I could find a full time job.
  3. I did ghost tours and found a part time job making bubble tea.
  4. I found a full time job in my field! I started work in Communications in December.
  5. I moved into a house of my own.
  6. I'm making plans to get married to Ryan (finally). The wedding is in late July 2018. 
Here's a more detailed account: 

I led some ghost tours again.
AmeriCorps was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I'm not even joking. I was under a lot of stress last year from my job as well as homeso much so that I got a nasty shingles flare-up. I battled loneliness and fatigue. I shed too many tears. Although, I [usually] managed to hold my broken pieces together during the work day. Psalm 88 became my overly dramatic battle cry for a while. 

But, through it all, I made some very close friends and grew as a person. I hiked, swam in secret swimming holes, explored caves, got to guest-sing in a Tridentine Mass choir, rode on 4-wheelers, tried deer jerky, and did a lot of other awesome crap that people who live in West Virginia get to do. 

I didn't love the harsh winter. I didn't love my AmeriCorps experience (although I am grateful for it). But I loved West Virginia. I find myself thinking about it often, and I even considered going back when I couldn't find a job. Ryan and I are even getting married there this Summer at our favorite church with our favorite priest presiding over the liturgy. 

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, tree, outdoor and closeupWhen I moved back to Atlanta, life didn't get easier. I spent months looking for work and receiving rejection after rejection. I had no choice but to move back in with my parents, who are divorced and still living together (partly out of stubbornness and spite, partly our of necessity). The emotional intensity of that environment, plus my own feelings of inadequacy and failure, simmered together in one big pot of oppression stew. 

Then, one day, I got an email of interest from my current employer. They liked my resume. They found my portfolio "impressive." They wanted to meet me. Then, a week later, they called me to tell me I got the job.

The salary was more than I could have hoped, and the benefits are great. Since I've been here, I've been showered with free stuff (like the FitBit in the photo above!). I even get to use the employee gym and have access to free fitness classes. And, people at this job are friendly! I started to feel this overwhelming sense of gratitude. I wasn't used to being treated as someone of value in the workplace. I've never been seen as a professional until now. Now and again, I still get the feeling that this is more than I deserve.

But then something else happened the week I started my job. 

Ryan's youngest brother got diagnosed with Glioblastoma. It's inoperable. The doctors gave him anywhere from three to nine months. We offer up all our Rosaries and Divine Mercy chaplets to him. He is constantly on our minds. It's been a difficult journey for Ryan's family. Last I heard, the tumor has not grown. He's also made a lot of progress with his mobility and speech. He's not in pain right now either. These things are little miracles. Whatever the outcome, this is his path to sainthood. 

For months now, I've been finding myself with very little time. I've reached the stage where I have to decide how to spend what little free time I have. I'm evaluating my priorities and making personal goals. 

It's taken weeks of practice to
 smile and dance simultaneously.
My main priority right now has been wedding-planning. It's going to be a small and simple wedding, so this task has been pretty manageable. I've also been practicing for a charity ballroom dance competition through my employer. When I was asked to compete, I thought, "Why not?" I didn't realize how much of my time it would take. 

Because of the immense amount of time I spend either working or doing necessary life to-do's, I feel like I'm losing more and more of my identity and sense of purpose. Is this normal, readers? Do you struggle with finding that *something* that gives you a sense of purpose and zest for living? Tell me your secrets!

Comments

  1. Interestingly, I went to Job Corps in 2014 and my life was never the same afterward. I hated it. I didn't just go to one campus, but THREE, consecutively. One in 2014 and two in 2015. I graduated in March of last year.

    But going to JC was the worst experience and worst decision I ever made in my life.

    Since then, I haven't been the same physically, emotionally and psychologically. I gained so much weight. I'm out of shape. My legs don't hold me anymore; they feel as though they've been beaten to death, which doesn't help with trying to find work that doesn't require me to stand for hours.

    And worst of all, my passion, my sense of purpose in life, to write, has been sucked out of me. I can't do anything. Not even fanfiction. It hurts like hell in ways I don't think anyone understands.

    Yes, I, too, feel as if I've lost myself. My identity, my purpose. I don't know what to do, anymore. I'm floating in the ether, and my depression has gotten even worse; far worse than it's been in a decade.

    I don't know what to make of anything, so I'm afraid all I can say is: I know somewhat how you're feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first I've heard about institutional issues with Job Corps. But, based on what I've heard of the other Corps programs, it doesn't surprise me.

      I'm sorry it's made life so much harder for you. I had major burnout during my service, and I was so afraid that it would be permanent.

      I'm glad to see your comment on my post. I just want to let you know that no matter what you're going through, you have dignity and worth, and you deserve better than what JC has left you with. You might not be able to see the ways you've impacted others, but you have.

      I know these words don't help depression, but hang in there. Talk gently to yourself. Keep telling yourself that things can only get better (even if you're not sure you believe it.)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Devil's Turnaround

Noonday Missionary Baptist Church's Cemetery is also known as "Devil's Turnaround." It is located along a little back road in Kennesaw, Georgia, and most of the graves are scattered in the woods. It is easy to miss, but some of the gravestones are visible from the road. The cemetery has graves from the 1860's. I wouldn't doubt that some of its occupants were slaves at one time. Many say the land is haunted by malevolent spirits who hurl objects and make physical contact--shoving, scratching, and even biting visitors. I could understand why any lingering spirits might be upset: These grounds have been terribly neglected. Much of the graves are broken and toppled over. Some are barely visible through the overgrowth of ivy and weeds. People also say the root of the haunting may be related to rumored cult rituals performed on the property. Located right by the cemetery are huge power lines (high voltage transmission lines). I could hear them b

Why I Still Use CD's

Second Wave Compilation, Talking Heads, and SOM all purchased at a used book store Are CD's obsolete? With all of this digital downloading, most people don't even bother with them. Even vinyls (which are technically obsolete) have a vintage charm which CD's currently lack. I have a friend who jokes, "It's 2013. Who listens to CD's anymore?" while knowing full well that I still buy them. It might seem that I have luddite tendencies--I don't use an e reader either. However, I can make some very good arguments for purchasing CD's. Buying your music on compact disks nowadays is really cheap, especially if you know where to look. I tend to shop for them at Goodwill, thrift stores, and used book stores. I found Ministry's Psalm 69 (in very good condition) at my local Goodwill for only $1. Keep in mind, many people pay that much for a digital copy of one song. When I shop for them at my local used book store, the CD's are guaranteed to be i

Depeche Mode Concert

Last night, Depeche Mode came to town. After a long week and much time spent looking forward to this, I'm glad to say I was in attendance. Justean and I ventured off to the venue with little incident this time (meaning not getting horribly lost like before). When we arrived, we noticed what a broad spectrum of fans Depeche Mode reached. There were a lot of drunken middle aged people, but besides that, there was a range of alternative types as well as more mainstream looking people. One thing is for sure that most everyone seemed excited to be there. In fact, at one point, I almost got in an altercation with a couple who was so excited, they decided to squeeze right in front of me and cut me off! Let's just say I got them to vacate my vicinity.  It was a great night for a concert. The moon shone brightly, and looming rain clouds dissipated. As for the show itself, Depeche Mode knows how to work a crowd. They sound mostly the same in concert as on their albums. They eve