Skip to main content

I Graduated!

Hello, everyone! I can hardly believe how long it's been since I've posted last. In that time, I have been finishing up my last semester at university. I am pleased to say that I am now a college graduate (Summa Cum Laude with honors distinction!) with a B.A. in English and a minor in Spanish.
Receiving my Honors distinction certificate

A very tired Katie and her Ryan
If everything works out, I plan to do an AmeriCorps program. AmeriCorps is a community service-based organization (similar to Peace Corps) that partners with local organizations to tackle a variety of issues. Those I have applied to deal with sustainable development, conservation, and hunger. I'm unsure of where I will be, but my top two programs are in the Appalachian mountains (WV and OH).

The programs start late Summer/early Fall. In the meantime, I plan on taking some time to rest and hopefully do some writing and volunteer work. This is already a tough transition because I forgot how not to be stressed out about school work. I'm also struggling with letting the day crumble before my eyes and turn to dust, only focusing on accomplishing trivial tasks (or nothing at all).

The good part is that I now have no homework and so much time! I'm taking Ryan to go on a night hike/ scorpion and owl "hunt" this weekend, for example!


Comments

  1. Congratulations!

    Being able to go community service in something you care about sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The jobs I'm applying for are community service based, so I'm looking forward to them. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! Well done! This is really a great achievement, you should feel so proud of yourself!
    Does it feel strange to not have to worry about assignments anymore? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a little strange. Instead of worrying about homework, I'm worrying about finding a job to pay off my loans. But, I'm glad to be done with school for now.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Devil's Turnaround

Noonday Missionary Baptist Church's Cemetery is also known as "Devil's Turnaround." It is located along a little back road in Kennesaw, Georgia, and most of the graves are scattered in the woods. It is easy to miss, but some of the gravestones are visible from the road. The cemetery has graves from the 1860's. I wouldn't doubt that some of its occupants were slaves at one time. Many say the land is haunted by malevolent spirits who hurl objects and make physical contact--shoving, scratching, and even biting visitors. I could understand why any lingering spirits might be upset: These grounds have been terribly neglected. Much of the graves are broken and toppled over. Some are barely visible through the overgrowth of ivy and weeds. People also say the root of the haunting may be related to rumored cult rituals performed on the property. Located right by the cemetery are huge power lines (high voltage transmission lines). I could hear them b

Why I Still Use CD's

Second Wave Compilation, Talking Heads, and SOM all purchased at a used book store Are CD's obsolete? With all of this digital downloading, most people don't even bother with them. Even vinyls (which are technically obsolete) have a vintage charm which CD's currently lack. I have a friend who jokes, "It's 2013. Who listens to CD's anymore?" while knowing full well that I still buy them. It might seem that I have luddite tendencies--I don't use an e reader either. However, I can make some very good arguments for purchasing CD's. Buying your music on compact disks nowadays is really cheap, especially if you know where to look. I tend to shop for them at Goodwill, thrift stores, and used book stores. I found Ministry's Psalm 69 (in very good condition) at my local Goodwill for only $1. Keep in mind, many people pay that much for a digital copy of one song. When I shop for them at my local used book store, the CD's are guaranteed to be i

Depeche Mode Concert

Last night, Depeche Mode came to town. After a long week and much time spent looking forward to this, I'm glad to say I was in attendance. Justean and I ventured off to the venue with little incident this time (meaning not getting horribly lost like before). When we arrived, we noticed what a broad spectrum of fans Depeche Mode reached. There were a lot of drunken middle aged people, but besides that, there was a range of alternative types as well as more mainstream looking people. One thing is for sure that most everyone seemed excited to be there. In fact, at one point, I almost got in an altercation with a couple who was so excited, they decided to squeeze right in front of me and cut me off! Let's just say I got them to vacate my vicinity.  It was a great night for a concert. The moon shone brightly, and looming rain clouds dissipated. As for the show itself, Depeche Mode knows how to work a crowd. They sound mostly the same in concert as on their albums. They eve